Graduate student services

Memorial University offers a variety of easily accessible services available to current graduate students throughout your academic program. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your graduate officer or graduate admin staff or email

The Graduate Commons
The Graduate Commons is an online community for graduate students enrolled in Memorial University of Newfoundland. It was developed by the School of Graduate Studies in collaboration with the Internationalization office, Marine Institute, and the Grenfell Campus. The Graduate Commons enables networking opportunities and offers resources for you to be successful in your degree programs.

Student Wellness and Counselling Centre
Nothing is more important to us than your health and wellness. Memorial’s Student Wellness and Counselling Centre (SWCC) and School of Graduate Studies have partnered to offer dedicated counseling supports for graduate students. To book an appointment with SWCC’s counsellor for graduate students, please complete the SWCC request counselling form. You will be asked to login in to MyMun account and the form will be located at the bottom of the page. Appointments are normally scheduled within 2 business days and are offered via Webex.

Please visit the SWCC website for more information about the services offered by SWCC, including Ask a Registered Nurse online service, physician/nursing services, counselling services, vaccinations/immunizations, wellness and wellbeing, and academic supports. SWCC also provides a comprehensive list of answers to frequently asked questions about the supports and services they offer, as well as a list of online wellness resources.

Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL)
All students, including those starting their degree program online, should visit the Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL) website for current students for a guide to starting your online program/courses, technical resources, examination information, and computing support offered through The Commons.

CITL has also created a Student Help site to assist students with remote learning. The site provides information on submitting assignments, presenting and participating in online classes, and accessing learning strategy resources. Live chat support is available through the CITL website.

Memorial University Libraries
Current students, faculty, and staff of Memorial University can access online library resources and research tools 24/7 from anywhere in the world. For more information about accessing library resources from home please visit the Memorial University Libraries website.

Graduate student on-campus study space 
The Rotunda Commons is now a graduate student only on-campus study space. You can access the Rotunda with your MUN ID Card once it has been activated by CEP. Requests for access must be made 24 hours in advance. For more information and to book your space, please visit the Memorial University Libraries website.

On-campus study space provided by the Libraries
Limited, individual on-campus study space can now be booked for time slots at the following locations: Queen Elizabeth II Library, Health Sciences Library, and Grenfell Campus. For more info and online bookings, please visit the Memorial University Libraries website. The Education Library and Marine Institute Library are finalizing their schedules. Check the Library website and the Library’s social media channels for more information in the coming days.

Memorial University Bookstore
All books (physical and digital), as well as kits, clothing, and school supplies are available for ordering through the Memorial University Bookstore website.

The Writing Centre
The Writing Centre offers a variety of online services, resources, and tutoring sessions for students. For more information, please visit the Writing Centre website.

The Glenn Roy Blundon Centre
The Glenn Roy Blundon Centre co-ordinates services for students with disabilities and those with short-term illnesses and injuries attending Memorial University St. John’s Campus. Services and accommodations include: assistance arranging academic accommodations for tests and exams (medical or psycho-educational documentation is required), access to assistive technology, orientation of new students, note-taking assistance, card access to wheelchair elevators and lifts on campus, in-servicing of faculty and staff regarding disability issues and accommodations, and a liaising network among students, faculty, staff, and community groups.

In keeping with Memorial’s commitment to ensuring an environment of understanding, respect and inclusion, the Accommodations for Students with Disabilities Policy establishes principles, guidelines and responsibilities respecting access to University services, facilities and housing for students with disabilities in accordance with the Newfoundland and Labrador Human Rights Act, 2010.

For further information, contact the Centre by telephone to (709) 864-2156 (Voice), (709) 864-4763 (TTY), or by e-mail to, or through the Glenn Roy Blundon Centre website. For information about the services available at Grenfell Campus, contact the Student Services Learning Centre by telephone to (709) 637-6268, or by e-mail to, or through the Student Services Learning Centre website. For information about the services available at the Fisheries and Marine Institute Campus, contact the Department of Student Affairs by telephone to (709) 757-0702, or through the Department of Student Affairs website.

Indigenous Student Resource Centre
Staff in the Indigenous Student Resource Centre provide support and services on: tutoring, writing sessions, cultural and social supports, academic supports and referrals, and Indigenous scholarship information and guidance. For more information, please contact the Indigenous Student Resource Centre.

Computer support and repair services
Memorial’s Department of Technical Services and the School of Graduate Studies have partnered to offer computer support and repair services for graduate students (personal devices such as laptops, monitors, hard drives, etc.) at the internal rate of $25/hour. To qualify for this rate, graduate students will have to submit a confirmation of enrolment letter at the time service is requested. For more information or to request a quote, please email:

IT Services
There are many IT services available to students, faculty, researchers and administrators at Memorial. Please visit the Office of the CIO website for further information and a complete list of available services.

Memorial University Apps 
Memorial University provides a number of apps to improve your campus experience. Please visit Memorial’s Apps Store for more details and to download.

MUN Safe
MUN Safe is an app that lets Memorial University students, staff, faculty and visitors quickly access campus resources 24/7 such as emergency push notifications, emergency procedures, incident reporting and more. It is the most efficient and timely way to receive notifications about critical incidents affecting any of the Memorial University campuses. For more information and to view downloading instructions, please visit the MUN Safe website.

Student Life
Each semester Student Life offers a variety of remote events and experiences which are open to everyone in the Memorial community. These sessions include weekly meet-ups, support services, health and wellbeing virtual gatherings, fun and games, and career advice. For more information on Student Life services and to view the Remote Student Experience calendar of events, please visit the Student Life website.

The Works
The Works is Memorial University’s fitness center which is comprised of the Aquarena, Field House and other recreation facilities on Memorial University's St. John's Campus. The Works offer a variety of fitness, aquatic and leisure facilities and programs to the general public and the university community. For information regarding programs, services, and hours of operation, please visit The Works website.

Graduate student newsletter
The School of Graduate Studies distributes The Graduate, a biweekly newsletter, to all graduate students with information regarding important notices, resources for graduate students, professional development opportunities, campus news, and more. To view previous editions of the newsletter please visit The Graduate archive.

Graduate housing
Full-time graduate students are eligible for two types of on-campus residence (provided space is available): Burton’s Pond Apartments and Feild Hall Residence. You may also choose to live off-campus or at Memorial's Signal Hill Campus Graduate Student Accommodations. For more information regarding graduate housing options, please visit the Become a Graduate Student website.

Campus maps
View campuses, location of buildings, and tunnel systems with a click of a button. Memorial’s campus maps allows you to view St. John’s Campus, Grenfell Campus, Marine Institute, Signal Hill Campus, and Harlow Campus. Visit the Campus Maps website for more information.

Fall student parking permits
The St. John’s campus fall 2021 parking permit allocation for undergraduate and graduate students is now open. Login to, visit the parking section, and submit your application before 12 p.m. on Sept. 8. After this time you can log back in to determine if you have been allocated a permit, for what area and the cost. Permits are limited and will only be available to successful students of the draw who have more than forty-eight (48) university credit hours.

Permits will be available for pick up at the parking office (FM-1018) by appointment only after the allocation closes. If you are allocated a permit, information on how to make an appointment will be emailed to you. Payment for the permit must be made by cash or debit and vehicle registration is required.

You can find more information on the parking website.

International graduate student services
Services for international graduate students continue to be offered remotely, including career advising, immigration advising, family supports, health insurance advising, and housing advising. For information on how to book appointments, please visit the Internationalization Office website.

International graduate students are encouraged at any time to consult with one of MUN’s immigration advisors and their graduate officers about their options. We would also encourage you to participate in the Internationalization Office’s weekly online immigration advising sessions.

After graduating from your program of studies at Memorial University, international graduate students who complete their programs may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). To determine your eligibility to apply for PGWP, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

International student health and dental insurance
International students are automatically enrolled the mandatory Foreign Health Insurance plan upon registration. If you are studying outside of Canada, you must opt out of this insurance. Please visit the Internationalization Office website for more information on the opt-out process and deadlines for each semester.

International students are also automatically enrolled in a mandatory dental insurance upon registration. If you are studying outside of Canada, you must opt out of this insurance prior to the appropriate deadline. Please visit the Graduate Students’ Union website for information on the opt-out process and deadlines for each semester.

International student family program
The Internationalization Office offers family programming for international students with a spouse and/or children at Memorial University. The Family Program provides a holistic approach to supporting International students and their families, by providing community programs, one-to-one supports and community referrals. The goal is to provide a sense of community both on and off campus for families. For more information please visit the Internationalization Office website.