Foreign Health Insurance
Wednesday September 23, 2020 is the deadline to opt out of the foreign health insurance. To opt out, go to www.guard.me/mun. After the deadline, you will not be able to opt out online. If you have questions or concerns, email Natasha at email@example.com.
All registered international students are automatically enrolled in the Foreign Health Insurance plan.
About your foreign health insurance
- The current provider of the foreign health insurance is Guard Me.
- The cost of the insurance is $261.59 per semester.
- Coverage dates align with the semester. For example, coverage for Fall is from September 1 to December 31.
- Beginning Fall 2020, there are two new enhancements to the plan;
- Coverage up to $10,000 for medically necessary non-emergent treatment of a condition
- Medical expenses incurred as a result of actions while impaired.
- Be sure to check out Guard Me’s services such as Mobile Doctor
Who is not covered and how to opt in
- Automatic coverage does not apply to:
- Students registered on a work term
- Dependents of students
- Post docs or visiting scholars/faculty
- For information on opting into the Foreign Health Insurance, click here.
Who can opt out
- If you are studying outside of Canada, you must opt out of the foreign health insurance
- If you obtain public health care offered through the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador called MCP you might be eligible to opt out of the foreign health and transfer to your student union managed health plan.
- For information on MCP visit this website.
- Having alternate coverage (with the exception of those outlined here) does not make you eligible to opt out.
- For information on opting out of the foreign health insurance, click here.
The Internationalization Office (IO) is implementing changes to the administration of the foreign health insurance plan and the option for full time international students with MCP to opt out of the foreign health and transfer to the student union plan.
Effective Fall 2020, all international students who were previously covered under their student union health plan will be reverted back to the foreign health insurance. Students can opt out of the foreign health and transfer to the student union health plan if they are registered as full time students and hold a valid MCP. To opt out and transfer, students must provide a valid MCP and complete an online opt out at www.guard.me/mun between September 1 and 23, 2020. This opt out and transfer is valid for the remainder of the academic year. This means that every Fall semester, international students will be reverted back to the foreign health plan and will have to opt out again, if eligible.
Students registered for a work term in Fall 2020, will not be charged foreign health or any student union insurance and as such are not eligible to complete the opt out and transfer described above. Students on a work term in Fall 2020 must opt into an insurance plan if they are working in Canada. If you have a valid MCP, you can opt into your student union plan. If you do not have a valid MCP, you can opt into the foreign health. Remember, MCP is for coverage inside of NL. If you are out of province, you do not have MCP coverage unless you have successfully obtained Out of Province MCP Coverage. To opt into the foreign health, go to www.guard.me/mun beginning September 1 and choose Purchase option. To opt into your student union insurance, visit their website. Deadline to opt in is September 23, 2020.
If you are studying outside of Canada for Fall 2020, you must opt out of insurance. To opt out, visit www.guard.me/mun between September 1 and 23, 2020 to complete an Outside of Canada Waiver. If you are a graduate student, you are also automatically charged GSU dental and will need to complete a separate opt out for your dental insurance, see www.gsumun.ca.
If you have questions, we will be hosting a Q&A on Thursday September 3 at 12:30pm NLST in Brightspace. To join, click here.