Returning International Students

Planning to Travel to Canada

  • Effective October 1, 2022. The Government of Canada announced the removal of all COVID-19 entry restrictions, as well as testing, quarantine, and isolation requirements for anyone entering Canada. All travellers, regardless of citizenship, will no longer have to: submit public health information through the ArriveCAN app or website; provide proof of vaccination; undergo pre- or on-arrival testing; carry out COVID-19-related quarantine or isolation; monitor and report if they develop signs or symptoms of COVID-19 upon arriving to Canada; undergo health checks for travel on air and rail; or wear masks on planes and trains.
  • Different countries still have different travel rules and restrictions (such as vaccination or testing). If you have an international flight connection before entering Canada, be aware of the rules to enter that country.
  • We advise all students to have a place to stay/live arranged before arriving in NL. If you are looking for a place to stay, then please check here

Entering Canada

  • When booking flights, it is highly recommended you have insurance, or the ability to change and cancel flights without financial penalty.

List of documents you will need to travel with, as outlined by Government of Canada.  Check here for additional information Documents required 

  • A valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit. If you have issues with your study permit, you may have to delay or cancel your travel at your own expense 
  • Evidence you are enrolled at Memorial University for Spring 2023. You can request your Enrolment Verification Letter through Self-Service, once you are registered for the Winter 2023 semester. It may take a few days for you to receive the letter.
  • Government issued identification (such as a passport)
  • Proof of financial support. Please email if you have questions about proof of financial support.
  • Receipt of medical exam. Please email if you have questions about your required medical.

List of documents you may wish to travel with

  • Proof of residence – where you will be living when you arrive in Canada
  • Proof of medical/health insurance – As a registered international student, you will be automatically enrolled in foreign health, and you will get an email from Guard Me to your email account with insurance details. If you are a new international student arriving early, as part of this arrival process, we will set you up early on the insurance and you will get an email from Guard Me with these insurance details (please email if you have questions about health insurance, Ref: