Tenancy Resources


Legal Services (On-Campus services)

  • Memorial University Students’ Union (MUNSU) 

MUNSU offers a confidential 1-hour free legal aid service to any undergraduate student who requires it. Sessions with the Director of Advocacy are not legal counsel but they may assist in obtaining it. See MUNSU for more information.

  • Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) 

As part of an agreement with a local law firm, the law firm has agreed to provide one free half hour consultation with a lawyer for all graduate students in need. If you are in need of legal advice, see GSU for more information.

Legal Services (Off-Campus services)

  • Public Legal Information Association of NL

The Public Legal Information Association of Newfoundland & Labrador (PLIAN) is an independent non-profit organization and registered charity dedicated to educating Newfoundlanders and Labradorians about the law, with the intent of increasing and improving access to justice.
The Public Legal Information Association (PLIAN) is one of the main places you can contact if you are seeking advice to help you resolve issues that might arise between a landlord and tenant. PLIAN can help finding a lawyer or to obtain legal advice about your residential tenancies matter. 
On the PLIAN website, you can also find useful information about residential tenancies.

  • NL Human Rights Commission

Regardless of whether you are a resident or a visitor, the Human Rights Act protects you against discrimination in certain areas or situations which includes:
• Accommodations — staying at a hotel, motel or inn, or renting a campsite or an apartment
• Lease or sale of property — renting land or buying a home

You can find more information about their services here.

  • NL Legal Aid

NL Legal Aid offers free legal assistance in some areas of family and criminal law to people who, for financial reasons, are unable to get legal services from the private sector.