Cannabis in the Workplace
Effective Oct.17, 2018, cannabis for non-medical use was legalized in Canada.
Memorial has a duty to maintain a safe workplace and employees are required to show up fit to work. This did not change with the legalization of cannabis.
The following are some key points about the consumption of cannabis.
- The recreational use of cannabis in Newfoundland and Labrador is restricted to private residences.
- The recreational use of cannabis is not permitted on Memorial campuses.
- Individuals who require cannabis for medical purposes can continue to seek accommodation through Memorial’s Workplace Accommodation policy.
- Memorial is a smoke-free environment and the non-medical use of cannabis by employees will be treated similar to the use of other substances that result in impairment, such as alcohol.
- Memorial is in the process of reviewing all current internal guidelines, procedures and practices that could be impacted by the legalization.
The following are some FAQs relating to cannabis and the workplace.
Does the legalization of cannabis mean employees can use it at work?
No. In Newfoundland and Labrador, the consumption and use of cannabis is restricted to private residences.
Does the legalization of cannabis mean employees can be impaired at work?
No. Employees do not have the right to recreationally use cannabis, or be impaired, at work.
Employees must work safely and ensure they do not endanger the health, safety or physical well-being of themselves or others in the workplace.
What about cannabis prescribed to an employee for medical purposes?
At Memorial, the Workplace Accommodation policy would be followed for employees requiring cannabis for medical purposes.
Please note, an authorization to use cannabis for medical purposes does not entitle an employee to be impaired at work, to compromise his or her safety, or the safety of others, to smoke in the workplace, or to unexcused absences or late arrivals.
Where can I access additional information on the legalization of cannabis?
For more information on the legalization of cannabis, please consult the following:
For information on the health effects of cannabis, please consult the following: