Health & Safety Training
A variety of health & safety training and education seminars, and courses are available through Environmental Health and Safety. Ongoing seminars are conducted on topics such as:
- OHS Committee Training
- Emergency Warden Training
- Hazard Idenfication
With advanced notice, seminars on any health, safety or environmental topic can be arranged.
Science 1807 - Students
Science 1807 is mandatory for students who work/study in laboratories where hazardous materials are handled. To register for this course students are required to complete the training registration on Memorial's Self Serve.
EHS also offers a variety of online training courses including (see the course descriptions/training requirements link under "Related Links" for a detailed description of courses available):
- Laboratory safety awareness for non-lab workers - Staff
- This course is required for any Memorial University employee (technical, administrative and academic staff) as well as external contractors/vendors that may enter a laboratory as part of their regular work duties. It is intended to provide awareness for the various hazards that may be present in typical laboratories.
- WHMIS - Staff
- This course is required for any Memorial University employee (both administrative and academic) that work with or in close proximity to hazardous products.
- Radiation Safety - Students/staff
- As a condition of Memorial's Nuclear Substances and Radiation Devices (NSRD) license, all personnel (staff and students) who work in authorized radiation laboratories are required to complete this comprehensive radiation safety training course prior to commencing work. If you directly handle sources of ionizing radiation or radiation devices, Radiation safety is mandatory prior to the commencement of work.
- Radiation Safety Awareness - Students/Staff
- For laboratory workers in authorized radiation labs who DO NOT handle radioactive materials directly, this basic radiation awareness training is required prior to commencing work.
- Radiation Safety Refresher - Student/Staff
- All personnel (those who directly handle radioisotopes and those who do not) who work in authorized radiation laboratories are required to refresh their radiation safety training at least every five (5) years. This training course is required to maintain radiation worker authorization.
- Biosafety - Students/staff
- All personnel (faculty, staff and students) who work in authorized biohazard laboratories are required to complete this course prior to commencing work.
- X-ray safety - Students/staff
- Canadian and Newfoundland X-ray legislation requires that all personnel (staff and students) who work in authorized X-ray emitting device laboratories are required to complete this course prior to commencing work.
- Respirator program - Students/staff
- This course is required for any individual who may be required to use a respirator for work or study. Please note that this course and the health screening form must be completed before a fit test is conducted.
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods by Road - Staff
- This course is a requirement for any staff member involved in the transportation of dangerous goods via road (includes packaging, offering for transport, shipping and receiving dangerous goods).
To register for these sessions - CLICK HERE, complete the online form and you will be directed to Desire2Learn to access the training.
Certificates are not provided for on-line training. You can print your on-line transcript/grades page(s) for proof of training.
If you have a recognized training need, please complete the registration form and fax back to 864-3116 or email to email@example.com.