Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Attract, retain, support and celebrate people engaged in and supporting research
Objectives associated with Goal 1:
- Encourage Indigenization and Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism (EDI-AR) through recruitment, mentoring and retention.
- Advance Memorial’s research opportunities and celebrate the achievements of researchers and research teams.
- Foster research excellence by elevating administrative and technical research support staff through professional development and recognition.
- Celebrate research success and excellence and strengthen Memorial’s research reputation, and placement in rankings nationally and internationally.
- Mentor faculty, students, post-doctoral fellows and trainees to achieve excellence in research.
- Expand enrolment in high quality, research-based graduate programs.
Goal 2: Support an environment of research excellence
Objectives associated with Goal 2:
- Respect and promote the Indigenous guiding principles of trusting relationships, respect, responsibility, accountability, reciprocity and power-sharing for Indigenous research.
- Understand and embrace differences and provide tools to reduce biases to further develop EDI-AR efforts.
- Encourage curiosity, creativity, innovation, thoughtfulness and critical inquiry.
- Enhance supports for researchers to access state-of-the-art services and to obtain and manage funding.
- Develop and maintain high-quality research infrastructure, space, equipment, technologies and support services.
- Increase supports, infrastructure and social scholarship for sharing research findings and outputs, including across campuses.
Goal 3: Collaborate locally, nationally and internationally to learn, create, share and apply research
Objectives associated with Goal 3:
- Engage and collaborate with Indigenous partners in creating, sharing and applying research with other post-secondary institutions, governments, industry and community organizations.
- Encourage and celebrate partnerships and engagement that foster respectful and diverse research towards better EDI-AR practices.
- Support and encourage existing and new external collaboration activities, particularly with communities in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Support and encourage local, national and international research collaborations with other post-secondary institutions, governments, industry and community organizations.
- Foster a culture of innovation-driven research and entrepreneurship to create vibrant communities with sustainable economic contributions within the province and beyond.
Goal 4: Support high impact research activities in Strategic Research Theme areas
Objectives associated with Goal 4:
- Support research excellence within the Strategic Research Themes through hiring, retention and funding practices.
- Increase opportunities for Memorial researchers to communicate and collaborate with one another across the Strategic Research Themes.
- Work with all levels of governments to enable continued growth in research and partner with the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador to develop research areas which are of strategic importance.
- Encourage greater participation in research and/or scholarly activity with a specific focus on attracting new federal research funding.
- Disseminate and transfer gained knowledge and discoveries through a variety of mechanisms to audiences inside and outside Memorial.
- Support the implementation of mechanisms to measure research impact with particular attention to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.