Canada Research Chairs Program
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Public Accountability and Transparency
Reflecting the requirements of the Canada Research Chair Program (CRCP) Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Action Plan, to be eligible for the program, all participating institutions with five or more chair allocations must clearly publish on their websites (by Oct. 27, 2017) information related to the management of their chair allocations, as outlined below. Institutions must continue to meet these requirements throughout the fiscal year, and must review and update their public accountability webpages by October 31 of each year to remain eligible for the program. Accordingly, information presented below will be periodically updated to reflect updates in Memorial’s engagement in the CRCP.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment Statement
Memorial University is strongly committed to employment equity and encourages applications to Canada Research Chair opportunities at Memorial from the four designated groups (FDG): qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, and persons with disabilities. Memorial acknowledges that career paths can be diverse and that certain circumstances may legitimately affect a nominee’s record of research achievement. Applicants to Canada Research Chair opportunities at Memorial are encouraged to explain, in a cover letter, any personal circumstances resulting in career interruptions (if applicable) in order to allow for a fair assessment of their research productivity. Memorial University respects people's different needs and therefore will take all reasonable steps to ensure accommodation for Canada Research Chair opportunity applicants where appropriate. If you require an accommodation to participate in one of Memorial’s Canada Research Chair recruitment processes, please notify our CRCP Equity Officer, Tina Hickey, via email or 709-864-2548. More information is available online.
Memorial is committed to raising awareness within the institution of its commitment to and the benefits of equity, diversity and inclusion within the CRCP and the broader research enterprise. In the past three years, Memorial has been undertaking a significant recruitment effort to refill Canada Research Chairs (CRC) which have come to the end of their terms. During this time we took action to promote enhanced awareness and support for equity and diversity in our Chairs program including:
- addressing Memorial’s Deans Council to draw attention to the CRCP-promoted equity practices and followed up with memos to Deans and Heads to raise awareness regarding diversity gap(s) in Chairs;
- implemented changes to Memorial’s equity policy to make specific reference to CRCP;
- established an MOU with the Memorial University Faculty Association to ensure that search committees are provided with information packages that make them specifically aware of the expectations of the CRCP best practices as it relates to equity in the CRCP;
- redeveloped information packages for Academic Units to initiate Chair searches to provide detailed information on expectations as they relate to equity in the Chairs program, and new resources to support recruitment (including lists of venues for advertising Chair opportunities to improve application rates from the FDGs);
- meetings between the Associate Vice-President (Academic) Programs, Complement Planning and Development, staff from the administrative unit responsible for the CRCP, and Memorial’s Joint Equity Committee (which plays a key role in oversight for the University’s commitment to non-discrimination and equity in faculty recruitment) to review the CRCP and to identify further actions to improve diversity in recruitment;
- redeveloped standard text for inclusion in CRC opportunity advertisements specifically addressing how candidates are encouraged to explain any circumstances that may have affected their productivity as well as providing resources to facilitate application from persons with diverse needs, and
- Memorial’s Provost and Vice-President (Academic) published a blog to raise awareness about equity in the CRCP.
These actions have enabled Memorial to meet its equity targets for the CRCP, and will strongly benefit efforts for ongoing CRC recruitment. Moving forward, Memorial will continue regular communications to ensure equity, diversity and inclusion within the CRCP at Memorial.
These activities will be enhanced by though the efforts of Memorial’s Employment Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee (EEDAC), which has established a sub-committee that is dedicated to development and oversight of Memorial University’s Canada Research Chair Program (CRCP) Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Action Plan.
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Action Plan: Governance and Administration
Memorial University’s Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Action Plan, was developed by a sub-committee of the Employment Equity and Diversity Advisory Committee (EEDAC). The EEDAC was established under the authority of Memorial’s Vice-Presidents Council (VPC) for the purpose of advising VPC on matters relating to diversity, equity and inclusion in employment. Including representatives from the FDG, chairholders, faculty and administrators responsible for implementing the program at the institution, the plan was developed by the sub-committee for recommendation to the EEDAC, endorsed by the EEDAC and then approved by VPC to establish the Action Plan for Memorial. The plan will be reviewed and revised from time to time in accordance with the requirements of the CRCP as well as in alignment with any changes to policies and procedures at Memorial University, and/or to ensure ongoing consistency with Memorial’s Collective Agreement with its Faculty Association.
Memorial’s Equity, Diversity, Inclusion Action Plan may be reviewed here.
The Canada Research Chairs Program is administered at Memorial by Strategic Institutional Research Initiatives (SIRI). For questions or concerns related to the administration of the CRCP at Memorial please contact:
Dr. Marlies Rise
Tel: (709) 864-3213
Manager, Institutional Research Programs
Tel: (709) 864-2598
For questions or concerns related to equity and diversity related to the CRCP at Memorial please contact:
Tel: (709) 864-2548
Memorial University’s Equity Targets for the Canada Research Chairs Program, and progress in achieving these targets are reported to the CRCP regularly. Data on the program related to Equity Targets, results in achieving targets, and gaps for each of the FDG as provided by participating institutions (women, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal Peoples, members of visible minorities) can be viewed on the CRCP website. It should be noted that numbers of Chairs from the FDG that are less than five are withheld to protect the privacy of chairholders.
Memorial’s Canada Research Chair Policies
Canada Research Chairs are an important research resource that must be deployed through a rigorous process designed to optimize their effectiveness in advancing strategically the University's research enterprise while simultaneously avoiding entrenchment, and creating equitable opportunities for access to the program across all Faculties, Schools, and Campuses. Memorial’s policy, Reallocation, Renewal and Reduction of Canada Research Chairs (CRCs) at Memorial University, addresses the management of Memorial’s Canada Research Chair allocation. The policy is consistent with the terms of Memorial’s Collective Agreement with its Faculty Association which provides for recruitment, appointment, promotion and tenure of all faculty members at Memorial University.
Memorial’s Canada Research Chairs Utilization
The Canada Research Chairs Program regularly provides universities with their institutional CRCP utilization spreadsheet, which outlines how many chair allocations the institution has, how many are filled and by which chairholders (with their term end and start dates), type of flex moves used and which allocations are available. Memorial’s utilization spreadsheet can be viewed online here.
Canada Research Chair Opportunities
All Canada Research Chair opportunities can be viewed on Memorial University’s Academic Recruitment website. In accordance with Memorial’s policy on the CRCP, all Chair opportunities are open to all potential internal and external candidates. More information regarding program best practices can be viewed on the program’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Practices webpage.
A public report on the progress made in meeting the Memorial University’s objectives as presented in the institutional Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan will be posted by October 31 of each year, beginning in 2018. Memorial’s Action Plan is consistent with the requirements of the Program’s Action Plan.
It is important to note that as stipulated in the program’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, as of October 2017, institutions must:
- provide training on equity, diversity and inclusion—including instructions on limiting the impact of unconscious bias—to all individuals involved in Chair recruitment processes;
- provide a copy of open job advertisement with all nominations. The program will not accept nominations that do not include evidence of an openly advertised process; and
- collect data regarding applicants to chair positions and active chairholders who self-identify as members of the four designated groups.