Changing Fee Status

If you arrived in Canada as an international student but have recently become a permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant) or have been granted the status of conventional refugee then you must change your status with University administration. Charges for tuition and Foreign Health are connected with your residency status.

To change your status:
1. Make an appointment to see Natasha Clark or Arif Abu in the Internationalization Office. You can make an appointment by using your student life portal

2. When you meet with Natasha or Arif, bring with you photocopies and originals of the following documents:
- Permanent Resident card
- OR Landed certificate
- Confirmation of hearing - Notice of Decision.

3. Natasha or Arif will validate the documents by signing the photocopies and highlighting the effective date.

4. Bring validated photocopies to the Cashier's Office, Arts and Administration Building A1023 

NOTE: At the point that your status is changed in the University system, your differential tuition fees for that semester will be dropped.

Your Foreign Health fee, however, will only be dropped for that semester if you become a PR before the end of the opt out deadline (usually after the first two weeks of classes). If you become a PR half way through the semester, you will be required to keep the Foreign Health Insurance for that semester. But for the following semester, you will be charged the Canadian health fee. If you have any questions about this, email


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000