Changing Fee Status
If you arrived in Canada as an international student but have recently become a permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant) or have been granted the status of conventional refugee then you must change your status with University administration. Charges for tuition and Foreign Health are connected with your residency status.
NOTE: While most staff a the University work remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, the below process is being temporarily changed. If you need to change your status, email Natasha (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a copy of your docoument attesting to its authenticity. Natasha will then advise on next steps.
To change your status:
1. Make an appointment to see Natasha Clark or Arif Abu in the Internationalization Office. You can make an appointment by using your student life portal
2. When you meet with Natasha or Arif, bring with you photocopies and originals of the following documents:
- Permanent Resident card
- OR Landed certificate
- Confirmation of hearing - Notice of Decision.
3. Natasha or Arif will validate the documents by signing the photocopies and highlighting the effective date.
4. Bring validated photocopies to the Cashier's Office, Arts and Administration Building A1023
NOTE: At the point that your status is changed in the University system, your differential tuition fees for that semester will be dropped.
Your Foreign Health fee, however, will only be dropped for that semester if you become a PR before the end of the opt out deadline (usually after the first two weeks of classes). If you become a PR half way through the semester, you will be required to keep the Foreign Health Insurance for that semester. But for the following semester, you will be charged the Canadian health fee. If you have any questions about this, email email@example.com.