Health Insurance

All registered international students are automatically enrolled in the Foreign Health Insurance plan. For information on coverage and making a claim, you can log into the insurance providers website using your policy ID. Your policy ID is emailed to your account the end of the first month of every semester by the insurance provider, Guard Me International. Full time international graduate students are also automatically enrolled in the Graduate Student Union (GSU) dental plan. For information on this, visit their website.

Automatic coverage does not apply to dependents of students, post docs or visiting scholars/faculty. For information on opting into the Foreign Health Insurance, click here .

You might be eligible for public health care offered through the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador called MCP or Medical Care Plan. For information on this visit this website.

You may also meet eligibility requirements to opt out of the Foreign Health Insurance and/or transfer into one of the student union plans. For information on this, click here.

It is important to understand your health insurance coverage and the health care system in Canada. That is why when you arrive to St. John's, you must check-in with the Internationalization Office to get information about your insurance and more. If you are attending the Grenfell Campus in Corner Brook, contact 


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000