Opting out of the Foreign Health Insurance
Wednesday September 23, 2020 is the deadline to opt out of the foreign health insurance. To opt out, go to www.guard.me/mun. After the deadline, you will not be able to opt out online. If you have questions or concerns, email Natasha at email@example.com.
You are eligible to opt out from the foreign health insurance plan if one of these statements applies to you:
- I am studying outside of Canada
- I am sponsored by one of the following groups who provide me with insurance: Libyan Scholarship program through CBIE
- I am a refugee claimant and covered under the Federal Government
- I am a full time student (excludes undergraduate students on a work term) with valid MCP
- Graduate students are only eligible to opt out in their first semester or Fall semester
- Medicine students are only eligible to opt out in Fall semester
- MI students are not eligible to opt out in Spring
To opt out:
- Go to www.guard.me/mun between September 1 and 23, 2020 and select Opt out.
- If you are opting out because you are not studying in Canada during Fall 2020, you will need to complete a waiver.
- This opt out is valid for Fall 2020 semester only. You will need to opt out again in Winter 2021.
- If you are opting out for any other reason, you will need to upload a scanned copy of your MCP card, Libyan scholarship health insurance or proof of Interim Federal Health Plan, as applicable.
- This opt out is valid for the 2020-2021 academic year (September-August). You will need to opt out again in Fall 2021, if eligible.
- Alternate health insurance plans other than those listed above will not be accepted as alternate coverage.
- If you are an undergraduate student registered on a work term, you are not automatically enrolled in any insurance coverage. You must opt into either the foreign health or your student union health plan if you have a valid MCP.
- If you have opted out of the foreign health and transferred to your student union plan, you must ensure your MCP is valid. Your student union health insurance is only valid if your MCP is valid. MCP provides coverage in NL. In order to receive coverage outside of NL, you must obtain Out of Province Coverage from MCP. If your MCP is no longer valid, you should reverse your opt out.
- Be sure you are opting out of the correct insurance. If you are unsure what health insurance you have, check your financial account in Memorial Self-Service to see what insurance you are paying. The information presented on this site applies only to students who are charged the foreign health insurance. For other insurance inquiries, contact your student union: