For Faculty and Staff

Guidelines for Establishing an International Academic Agreement with a Partner Institution

Memorial University encourages international collaboration and academic partnerships with foreign institutions and agencies. While informal collaboration can occur at any time, formal collaboration requires a signed agreement, such as those listed below: 

  1. General MOU Agreement (also known as an “Umbrella Agreement”) is a non-legally binding document that confirms the intention of Memorial and the partner institution to develop collaborative activities in a range of academic or research areas. This agreement but does not make specific commitments nor involve any commitment of resources. Specific areas of collaboration, once determined, are implemented through separate agreements that are required to be approved by authorized officials at Memorial (normally the Office of the Provost).

  2. Agreement for Reciprocal Student Exchanges details activities associated with the exchange of students between Memorial and a partner institution. Normally under such agreements, Tuition and some Student Fees are waived for a limited number of seats. At Memorial, foreign health insurance is mandatory. This agreement also outlines Privacy compliance and other legally binding contractual obligations. The Internationalization Office must be contacted for all agreements involving student travel, whether for study, work or research, in order to ensure compliance with immigration, health insurance and travel policies.

  3. Agreement for Faculty/Staff Exchanges details the roles and responsibilities, as well as procedures for exchanging faculty and/or administrative staff. These exchanges require extensive consideration, including immigration, health insurance, collective agreements, and financial and logistical implications. It is recommended that faculty or staff interested in such an exchange discuss first with their supervisor, head or dean and then with approval, approach the Internationalization Office for support through the agreement negotiation.

All such agreements must be consistent with the overall strategic goals of the university, including such international priorities as may from time to time be set. Templates for such agreements are available by contacting 

Memorial’s Internationalization Office offers guidelines to help academic units develop international agreements.

Faculty Mobility Program *NEW*

The Faculty Mobility Program aims to increase the number of institutional collaborations and student exchange agreements between Canadian and foreign institutions eligible under the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP). These agreements are created between colleges, technical or vocational institutions and universities in Canada, Latin Americas and the Caribbean.

The Program will award grants to teach or conduct research for a short-term in countries eligible to ELAP (CARICOM countries, Central America, Latin America, Mexico).

Competition: Open for the 2018-2019 academic year
Deadline: October 18, 2018

Any questions?
Please direct all inquiries regarding the Faculty Mobility Program to:

More information about the program, including guidelines, eligibility requirements and key dates, please click HERE

Current ELAP Partners

Belize - Galen University
Bolivia - Universidad Mayor de San Andres
Bolivia - Universidad Privada Boliviana
Brazil - Centro Federal de Educacao Technologica Celso Suckow da Fonseca (CEFET-RJ)
Brazil - Pontificia Universidad Catolica De Minas Gerais
Brazil - Unifacs- Universidade Salvador
Brazil - Univerdidade de Pernambuco
Brazil - Universidad Estadual de Londrina
Brazil - Universidade de Pernambuco
Brazil - Universidade De Sao Paulo USP
Brazil - Universidade Do Estado Do Rio De Janiero
Brazil - Universidade Federal da Bahia
Brazil - Universidade Federal do Ceara
Brazil - Universidade Federal do Rio Grande (FURG)
Brazil - Universidade Federal Do Rio Grnde- Furg
Brazil - Universidade Federal Fluminense
Chile - Universidad Adolfo Ibanez
Columbia - Antonio Narino University
Costa Rica - Instituto Technologico De Costa Rica
Costa Rica - Universidad Latinoamericana De Ciencia Y Tecnologia
Costa Rica - Universidad Nacional
Costa Rica - Universidad Nacional (UNA) - Sede Chorotega Campus
Costa Rica - University of Costa Rica (UCR)
El Salvador - Universidad Catolica de El Salvador
El Salvador - Universidad Tecnologica de El Salvador
Mexico - Colegio De Veracruz
Mexico - Instituto Tecnologico de Chihuahua
Mexico - Monterrey University
Mexico - Tecnologico de Monterrey
Peru - Centro Neotropical De Entrenamiento en Humedales
Peru  - Instituto de Investigaciones de la Amazonia Peruana
Peru - Universidad Catolica San Pablo
Peru - Universidad de Piura
Uruguay - Universidad de Montevideo

International Educators Training Program (IETP)

The IETP recognizes the need for flexible professional development options in a field that is characterized by employment variety as extensive as the global diversity that it embraces. IETP curriculum is built upon a foundation of skills and knowledge that are necessary to perform competently as an international educator. Training is activity-based, and participants gain experience that they are able to apply immediately upon their return to the workplace.

IETP Certificate for International Education Professionals

Learn more..

UBC's Certificate in Intercultural Studies (CIS)

The CIS is a great option for those who want to deepen their intercultural competence. The award-winning UBC Certificate in Intercultural Studies is a part-time career development program that gives you the tools to work effectively in international and multicultural settings.

Learn more..

Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI)

The Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) is a tool that is used to measure the intercultural competence of a group or an individual, and is extremely useful for anyone who coaches or trains in the area of intercultural development at his or her institution.

Learn more.. 


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000