MUNTEL Frequently Asked Questions
When is the next MUNTEL exam date?
- Please consult our website for the calendar of MUNTEL exam dates.
Can I register for a MUNTEL exam date and then change my mind and request a date change?
- No. Once you register for a MUNTEL exam date, you will not be able to request a date change. Please note that the MUNTEL Registration Fee is non-refundable.
How many times can I take MUNTEL?
- Currently we do not have a limit for how many times each candidate can take MUNTEL. If this changes, we will include the details in our website. However, please note that the MUNTEL registration fee (CAD $150) is for one exam date only.
What score do I need to pass the MUNTEL?
- The scores you need to achieve to enter Memorial's undergraduate/graduate programs are listed here. For more details on how scores are determined, please see the MUNTEL Speaking Rubric and the MUNTEL Writing Rubric.
What kind of ID is required to take MUNTEL?
- You will need a piece of government-issued photo ID (e.g. your passport is acceptable). You will present your ID to the test invigilator on the day of the exam to confirm your identity. If you do not have the proper valid identification, you will not be allowed to start the test.
Is MUNTEL accepted by other universities?
- No. It is used for:
- Level placement in Memorial University’s ESL Pathway Programs
- As a proof of English language proficiency for admission to Memorial University’s undergraduate and graduate programs
Do all students who apply for the ESL Pathway Programs need to pay both the ESL Application Fee and the MUNTEL Registration Fee?
- Yes, because we use MUNTEL for placement in our ESL Pathway Programs.
The MUNTEL webpage mentions that I need “a stable internet connection”. What if my internet connection is not very good? Can you allow me to retake the exam for free or can you take that into consideration when marking the exam?
- No. A stable internet connection is essential. You are responsible for ensuring that a stable and reliable internet connection is available to you.
The MUNTEL webpage indicates that I need “a computer with a webcam and microphone”. What if my device is not working properly on the day of the exam? Can you allow me to retake the exam for free or can you take that into consideration when marking the exam?
- No. You are responsible for ensuring that a functioning device is available to you.
I registered for a MUNTEL date and I was not able to do the exam on that date. Is there anything you can do to help?
- No, sadly there is nothing we can do to help. Please ensure you read all instructions and guidelines prior to the exam date. Test takers are responsible for taking MUNTEL on the date they booked. If you did not take the exam on that date, you are welcome to register for another MUNTEL exam date and pay another MUNTEL fee.