Living at the Bonne Bay Marine Station
Residence and Meals
Fees are paid at the station at the beginning of each course. Pay by cash, VISA, Master Card, debit card or by a cheque made payable to "Bonne Bay Marine Station"
Students are not obligated to stay in residence but still pay a $50.00 bench fee per course.
You can indicate roommate preferences once registered.
Let us know of any food allergies or dietary needs EARLY, we can usually accommodate given some notice.
Arrive on Wednesday evening after 5 p.m. (rooms are not available prior to this time).
DRL coachlines and the various airlines that operate in NL go to Deer Lake.
Students are expected to carpool or otherwise find their own way to the Station.
Students will receive an email via their Memorial University accounts prior to the course with a list of students registered on the same course.
Deer Lake taxi at (709) 635-2521 or Pittman’s Taxi in Norris Point (458-2486) need to be booked at least 24hrs in advance of arrival.
Computing and Communications
Computer or laptop strongly recommended - common use computers are limited.
Students coming from other universities must be set up with EDUROAM before arrival.
Memorial wireless accounts should connect automatically. Ensure that you know your current login/password information to facilitate the transition.
Your wireless account must be set up in St. John’s or Corner Brook in advance - we cannot do that for you.
What to bring:
- Warm clothes for earlier courses, sweaters, hats, mitts etc.
- Rain gear and tall rubber boots.
- Comfortable walking footwear.
- Extra towels (optional; one towel provided per student).
- Extra bedding (optional; bed linens and one pillow provided).
- Toiletries including soap.
- Alarm clock (if you need it).
- Pens, notebooks, computer paper, calculator etc.
- Waterproof field notebook (can be bought at station).
- Laptop or computer (strongly recommended).
- Sunscreen – you can burn even when it is cold or foggy out!
- Floater suits or life vests (provided; but bring your own if you have one).
- Reusable water bottle/no spill mug with lid.
- Fly repellant (you might appreciate this).