Submitting Your Documents

Unofficial documents

We can use unofficial documents to assess an application for a provisional/conditional acceptance in certain situation. However, to make a final admission decision we will need final, official transcripts from the issuing authority.

Unofficial documents are documents you can submit and includes documents, such as interim high school transcripts, personal statements, and mid-year grades, as required by the program for which you are applying.

Uploading documents

On the My Account page in the admissions portal under the My Applications section of the page you will see a listing by semester and program of your active applications.

If you select View for each application you will be able to access the Supplemental Items and Documents tab. On this tab you will find a listing of the unofficial documents required for your application. Unofficial documents are the documents that you can provide by uploading them yourself.

On the Supplemental Items and Documents page the listing will show you which documents are required and each document will indicate Choose File. Select Choose File to upload a copy of the document indicated. You can upload each document individually by selecting Upload Now after you load each item.

Official documents

Official documents are documents that need to be submitted from the issuing institution. They cannot be uploaded by the applicant. They have to be sent by mail, courier, or authorized email account to Memorial University by the issuing institution.

You will receive an email after your application has been processed indicating the Official documents required for your application. It is your responsibility to contact each institution to have the document sent to Memorial. As each document is received by Memorial you will receive a document receipt email. You should keep track of received documents. We will send reminder emails if official documents have not been received in a timely manner.

Make sure you submit your required documents by the document deadline. Once documents are submitted to Memorial University they become the property of the University. These documents are processed and stamped with institutional stamps upon receiving them. The documents are not able to be returned. If you do not wish to give up possession of your documents it is recommended that you provide notarized official copies.

Official supporting documents should be sent to:

By mail/post:
Office of the Registrar
Memorial University
P.O. Box 4200
St. John's NL  A1C 5S7
Office of the Registrar
Memorial University
Room A2000
Arts and Administration Building
230 Elizabeth Ave.
St. John's NL  A1C 5S7
Email: Documents: (Official documents only through authorized email addresses. No replies sent.)

Transcript definitions

Unofficial transcript

An unofficial transcript is one that is either marked as unofficial by the issuing authority or is submitted by the student directly to the Office of the Registrar.

Interim transcript

An interim transcript is one that is submitted to the Office of the Registrar at or near the time of application that reflects in-progress registrations at the sending institution.

Confirmation of current course registrations is often included as part of an interim transcript if the transcript is issued while courses are in progress. If in-progress courses are not reflected on the interim transcript, confirmation of course registrations, when requested, may be submitted in the form of a letter or separate document issued by the appropriate authority.

Official transcript

An official transcript is one that is sent directly by the issuing institution or authority using the sending institution's security features (e.g. secure paper or institutional seal) and has not been handled by the student in any way. 

Occasionally, notarized copies of transcripts may be accepted instead of, or in addition to, original official copies (for example, if translations are required).

Notarized copies of the following are accepted as official copies:

  • Higher secondary/senior secondary school certificates
  • Cambridge, Excel, Pearson, or other British-patterned GCE Certificates

Notarized copies of the following are not accepted as official copies:

  • English proficiency test score reports (TOEFL, IELTS, CAEL, etc.)
  • WAEC or NECO Certificates
  • University transcripts

Final transcript

A final transcript is one that reflects final results for all courses completed with no interim registrations remaining. Normally, a final, official transcript is required in order to make a final decision regarding admission eligibility or, for transfer students, for transfer credit evaluation.

Issuing authority

All official transcripts required for either admission or transfer credit evaluations must be sent directly to Memorial by the issuing authority and not by the student. Transcripts that are not produced in English must be translated by a certified translator and accompanied by a notarized copy of the original language document.

The issuing authority for transcripts and other confirmations may change from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. University or College transcripts are normally issued by the institution’s Registrar’s Office/Records Office. Official transcripts for high school studies may be issued by the government office responsible for education, by the school district, by the examining agency, or by the school itself. Guidance counsellors or principals can confirm this if a student is not sure of the issuing authority for their high school records.