I've Been Admitted. What's Next?

1. Accept your offer

Congratulations! Let us know you’ve been accepted. Use #memorialuniversity and get social with us.

If you've been provisionally accepted, don't forget to send us official, final transcripts and certificates before the document deadlines. We can't make a final admission decision on your application until we receive your final high school, post-secondary or other required results.

If you're registered for courses and you haven'r received final admission before the first day of classes, your admission will be revoked and your course registrations dropped, unless you have made arrangements with the Admissions Office.

Accepting your offer

Most students do not need to formally accept their admission offer. When you register for courses in July, we consider the offer of admission accepted. However, some of our competitive-entry programs require a formal confirmation of acceptance. Check your admission letter for specific instructions on how to accept your offer.

If you’re not planning to attend or need to request an application deferral, please drop all registered courses and email the Admissions Office.  

Entrance scholarships

Early scholarship offers will be awarded by the Scholarships and Awards Office in late March. You will be notified via your @mun.ca email if you are offered an entrance scholarship. Any funds that are available in August will be allocated with additional (late) entrance scholarship offers for anyone who hasn't already received an offer.


If you're successful in obtaining an entrance scholarship, you will be notified after you receive your acceptance to Memorial University.

2. Apply for a study permit

If you’re an undergraduate international student studying in Canada for more than six months, you’ll need to apply for a study permit from the Government of Canada. Your study permit allows you to study at a post-secondary institution, like Memorial University. You can start the study permit application process with either a provisional or final admission offer from Memorial University, which will be sent to your email listed on your application. Please consult with your nearest Visa Application Centre (VAC) regarding the initial study permit application process. Applying to study in Canada can take several months, so allow for sufficient time to process your study permit application.

In order to apply for a study permit or visa, you’ll need to be accepted to an institution that has a designated learning institution (DLI) number. Memorial’s DLI number is O19440995346 (beginning with the letter O, not a zero).

If you have immigration questions, you can contact the Internationalization Office

3. Set up your student email and MUN login ID

Application information and general admission decisions will be sent to the email address provided on your application. However, once you’ve been accepted, Memorial University has a single email policy, meaning that all official correspondence will be sent to you through your assigned @mun.ca email. This includes important information about faculty/school admission decisions, course registration, scholarships, and residence.

To set up your student email account, you'll need to create a MUN login ID. Your MUN login ID gives you access to your student email, as well as other online student services at Memorial, including wireless, my.mun.ca, and Navigate

4. Find a place to live

Apply for residence

Now that you’ve been accepted, you can apply for Student Residences. To submit an application, you’ll need your MUN login ID. You'll also need to pay a non-refundable semester application fee ($40 CAD per semester) by either Visa or Mastercard. The application will be available until the beginning of the semester. First year students are guaranteed a room in residence.

Room selection for the upcoming fall semester will begin in April. When you select your room you will need to pay a confirmation fee, which will be credited towards your campus residence fees. If you have questions about your residence application, contact Student Residences

For international students, review additional arranging accommodation information and connect with an international advisor if you have any questions.

5. Check out our online orientation

Begin your university journey and support your success by joining Memorial University's online orientation starting June 29th.

6. Prepare for registration and connect with an academic advisor

Information on how and when to register will be sent to your @mun.ca email in (normally about one month before registration opens). You can also check your registration date and time through Memorial Self-Service and check out how to register for undergraduate courses details beforehand. Your registration eligibility is dependent on the final admission decision.

You'll want to review first year information, especially the sample first year programs and non-credit courses and placement tests you may be required to write or complete before starting your studies.

When reviewing course offerings and making a schedule, you'll find the list of building abbreviations and our campus maps may be useful, or you can check out our walking campus story on Instagram.

If you need help selecting first year courses, choosing an academic program, declaring a major and/or minor, understanding degree requirements, and registering for courses, connect with an academic advisor.

7. Register for courses

You register for courses online through Memorial Self-Service. You can make changes to your schedule from your assigned registration time until the close of registration. But, you should register at your assigned date and time so you don’t miss out registering for a course.

If you are registered for courses and you have not received final admission before the first day of classes your admission will be revoked and your registrations dropped unless you have made arrangements with the Admissions Office.

8. Review health insurance information and coverage

All students studying at Memorial are required, as a condition of registration, to purchase health insurance. Health insurance fees are assessed automatically at the time of registration.

Domestic students

Health insurance at the St. John’s Campus is administered by the Students' Union (MUNSU). If you have alternative health and dental coverage, you may opt out of either or both plan(s). The deadline to opt out of the health and dental plans is two weeks from the first day of classes. To opt-out, visit www.munsu.ca.

International students

All registered international students are automatically enrolled in the Foreign Health Insurance plan. To discuss eligibility of public health care (Medical Care Plan or MCP), opting out of the Foreign Health Insurance, or transferring into one of the student union plans, review international health insurance information and contact the Internationalization Office.

9. Pay your fees

Tuition and other student fees are assessed when you register. Memorial reserves the right to change regulations, fees, and charges. The deadline for fee payment is the first day that lectures begin for each semester you're registered. 

There are a number of ways to pay your fees, including options to pay online. Review the accepted methods of payment for undergraduate tuition and fees before the deadline to pay your fees. If you have questions about charges and payments, contact the Cashier's Office.

NEW for international students

Memorial University has partnered with Western Union Business Solutions (WUBS) to give international students and their families an easy, fast and affordable way to pay for tuition and related fees using the WUBS bank transfer and online payment platform GlobalPay for Students. Visit the Cashier's Office for more information on the (WUBS) GlobalPay for Students payment option.

10. Prepare for your first week

Check out the events, services, and resources offered by Student Life to help prepare you for your first week of classes. Make sure you attend our remote Welcome Week and MUN 101 online orientation, order and pick up your campus (student ID) card, and set up Wi-Fi. For international students, you need to register with the Internationalization Office, as well as attend an international information session before or during the first weeks of the semester.


Undergraduate Admissions and Programs

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000