How to Apply
Important Deadlines for 2020 BSW Admissions:
- March 1, 2020: Application deadline for BSW program (First and Second Degree). As March 1, 2020 falls on a Sunday, applications will be accepted until Monday March 2, 2020.
- April 15, 2020: Deadline for receipt of detailed course outlines/syllabi for transfer credit evaluations. This deadline is only applicable to students requesting transfer credit evaluations for courses completed at other other post-secondary institutions.
- May 15, 2020: Deadline for receipt of final transcripts. (This does not require any action for students who have only taken courses at MUN).
- May 15, 2020: Deadline for confirmation of degree (for Second Degree BSW). (This does not require any action for students who have received a degree from MUN).
- Information for applicants submitting official documents from other post-secondary institutions: https://www.mun.ca/undergrad/admissions/applied/supporting-docs.php
Application to the BSW program (First & Second Degree), 2020:
- The application for admission to BSW programs offered is submitted online.
- Please read the application carefully and follow the instructions.
- Current and returning MUN applicants can apply using the Admissions menu within Self-Service. Choose to create a new application. The BSW application is located under 'professional faculty/ school programs.' Applicants are asked to indicate if they wish to apply to the first or second degree BSW program through a drop down menu.
- Applicants who are new to Memorial University of Newfoundland should follow the application instructions at: www.mun.ca/undergrad/apply
- Applicants can save their progress in the application and return to it later.
Experience Section (required):
- The online application includes an experience section.
- To be considered for the BSW program, applicants must have relevant work experience/volunteer experience and/or community involvement in human services related to social work. 60 hours are required for the BSW as a First Degree and 300 hours for the BSW as a Second Degree.
- Incomplete entries will not be considered. Students will not be permitted to change any information on their application after March 1, 2020.
- The School of Social Work reserves the right to confirm all experiences with the verifiers.
- Please note if the exact number of hours of work experience /volunteer experience and/or community involvement in human services related to social work is not specified, this experience will not be considered.
- Only include hours completed up until the date the application is submitted.
Statement Section (required):
- The online application includes a statement section.
- Applicants are required to prepare a statement. 500 words maximum.
- The 2020 statement: Prepare a statement (maximum of 500 words) indicating why you think you would be a suitable candidate for the BSW program at Memorial University. You may focus on your work experiences, volunteer experiences and/or community involvement; any training relevant to the field of social work, including awards or certificates earned; and your personal experiences, motivation, values, skills and interests.
Educational Equity Section (Optional):
- The School of Social Work offers a minimum of 10% of the seats in the BSW program to eligible applicants who have met the minimum requirements for admission and who identify as First Nations, Inuit, or Métis (minimum of 5% of seats) and/or as members of another equity group (minimum of 5% of seats).
- Applicants are invited to self-identify to a number of equity groups.
- Those who choose to identify as First Nations, Inuit, or Métis, and who wish to be considered under the seat allocation of our Educational Equity Initiative, are required to provide a copy of your status card or a letter from the leader of your First Nations, Inuit or Métis community.
Inquiries can be directed to:
School of Social Work (Social Work program or application)
Tel: (709) 864-8165
Office of the Registrar (Memorial University application or general admission)
Phone: (709) 864-4431