Graduate Scholarships and Fellowships
All graduate students in the Department are offered a minimum level of financial support to cover the cost of tuition at Memorial University and the cost of living in St. John's, provided that eligibility criteria are met and maintained. The current (2019-2020) minimum rates are:
M.Sc. students: $19,267 per annum for up to two years
M. Sc. students (international students enrolling in fall 2018 or later): $19,667
Ph.D. students: $20,767 per annum for up to four years.
This support is derived from several sources, including fellowships from the School of Graduate Studies, teaching assistantships from the Department, and research assistantships. The above stipends are minimum levels; additional support may be offered.
The Dean's Doctoral Award, valued at $5000 per annum, is awarded to a limited number of prospective PhD students at the time of admission. This award is added to the minimum stipend for PhD students.
Scholarships and Awards
- NSERC masters scholarships (Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship-Masters Program)
- NSERC doctoral scholarships (Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship-Doctoral Program and NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships-Doctoral Progam
- Vanier doctoral scholarships (Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship)
Receipents of NSERC and Vanier graduate scholarships also receive the Dean’s Excellence Award, valued at $5,000 per year for the duration of the scholarship, and may also hold two teaching assistantships, for $2,489 per year.
Here some internal scholarships that are of particular interest to Physics and Physical Oceanography students. For details about these awards and for a complete listing visit the SGS scholarship database.
- A G Hatcher Memorial Scholarship (Departmental deadline: May 25)
- J. Bruce and Helen H. French Graduate Scholarship in Physics
- Gordon Mertz Memorial Fellowship in Physical Oceanography
- Charles Butler Graduate Scholarship (Departmental deadline: January 19)
- F. A. Aldrich Graduate Award (Departmental deadline: May 25)
- School of Graduate Studies F. A. Aldrich Fellowship (for new incoming Canadian students, SGS deadline June 19)
- The National Scholarship in Ocean Studies at Memorial University of Newfoundland (SGS deadline July 1)
- TD Graduate Bursary for Environmental Study (Departmental deadline: June 30)
- Canadian Association for Graduate Studies/Proquest UMI Distinguished Dissertation Award
Collaborative Research Awards
- Mitacs Globalink funding for collaborative international research in India, France, and other countries.
Fellow of the School of Graduate Studies