Financial Assistance for Credit Courses

Pensioners can receive financial assistance to cover tuition for one academic credit course per semester up to a maximum of $265 (2022-23 fee).

For information on how to register, please go to the Registrar's registration page, which includes a help phone number and email address.

Approval for all financial assistance for credit courses must be obtained prior to the semester for which assistance is requested. Memorial has no obligation to pay for courses which have not received prior approval. 

Financial Application Process

  1. Pensioners must complete all sections of the Application for Financial Assistance for Memorial University Credit Course Form as available on the Learning & Development, Department of Human Resources website. The following link willl download the form
  2. The Application form must be approved by the Department of Human Resources prior to course/semester start date (as outlined in the University academic calendar) for final review and approval.
  3. The pensioner will be promptly informed by the Department of Human Resources of approved financial assistance.
  4. If the application for credit training is not approved, the pensioner will be promptly informed by the Department of Human Resources for the reason of non-approval.

To access the Application for Credit Training form, please login to and select the “Employee” tab. Under this tab you will see the “HR Forms” channel. Under the HR Forms channel you will see the "Learning and Development" channel. Select the "Application for Financial Assistance for University Credit Course revised 2019". This will download the appropriate credit course application form.

Fill out the form and submit it to Human Resources (not the unit in which the pensioner worked). Send the form to: 

Department of Human Resources
Memorial University of Newfoundland
230 Elizabeth Avenue, St. John's campus
Fourth floor, Arts & Administration Building, A-4023B
St. John's, NL, Canada
A1C 5S7

As with the University's employees the Pensioner is required to re-emburse the University if the course is dropped or a passing grade is not achieved.

Please note that this applies only to credit courses. Support for non-credit courses has been frozen since 2017.

The relevant Memorial Policies and Procedures are as follows: