What Needs Ethics Approval?
Research that does require ethics review
The following kinds of research require review and approval by an REB before the research begins:
- Research involving living human subjects.
- Research involving human remains, cadavers, tissues, biological fluids, embryos or foetuses.
- Research about a living individual in the public arena if s/he is to be interviewed and/or private papers accessed.
- Research involving secondary use of data (use of data initially collected for another purpose) - health records, employee records, student records, computer listings, banked tissue - if any form of identifier is involved and/or if private information pertaining to individuals is involved.
- Quality assurance studies and program evaluations which address a research question.
REB review is required only if program evaluation meets the TCPS2 definition of research or serves as a component of a research project. Although program evaluation may share some methods and techniques with those employed in research (such as data collection and data analysis), the intent and objectives of the data collection, as well as the further use of the collected data, are factors for establishing whether it is research and whether it should be reviewed by an REB. The TCPS 2 exempts from REB review program evaluation activities normally administered in the ordinary course of operation of an organization (see Article 2.5). If the collected data for such activities is later proposed for research purposes, it is considered secondary use of information not originally intended for research, and may require REB review at that time.
If in doubt about the applicability of the TCPS 2 or the requirement for REB review of a particular research project, the researcher should consult the REB.
Research that does not require ethics review
The following kinds of studies do not require ethics review (TCPS 2 Articles 2.2 to 2.4).
- Research about individuals in the public arena using only publicly available or accessible records without contact with the individual/s.
- Research involving naturalistic observation in public venues.
- Quality assurance studies, program evaluations, performance reviews, and testing within normal educational requirements if there is no research question involved.
- Research based on review of published/publicly reported literature.
- Research involving secondary use of data (Article 5.5) which is provided without any identifier or group of identifiers which would allow attribution of private information to an individual.
- Consulting, unless carried out under the auspices of the university.
Ethics Application Screening Tool
You may also wish to consult the interactive Ethics Application Screening Tool prior to submitting an application. This tool was developed to help guide researchers to the appropriate REB and application for ethics review. It is highly recommended that all researchers complete the tool prior to accessing an application form in the Researcher Portal.
If you are still unsure whether or not your project fits the TCPS2 definition of research, and/or whether or not your project requires ethics review, please contact ICEHR at firstname.lastname@example.org or 864-2861/2561.
(a) they are conducted by and/or on behalf of administrative units; and
(b) personal information will be used, collected, or disclosed
Please download and complete the self-assessment questionnaire to determine if this may be applicable to your project.
Surveys for assessment, evaluation, quality assurance, management, improvement, and other non-research purposes are subject to Memorial's Institutional Survey Policy, which is administered by the Centre for Institutional Analysis and Planning (CIAP).
To request approval for an institutional survey, please follow the application procedures outlined HERE.