Canada Ocean Lecture Series
Initiated in 2006, the Canada Ocean Lecture Series is a joint initiative between the registered charity Shorefast, Memorial University and other partners.
The aim of the lecture series is to create awareness of Canada’s vast marine environment and its importance to Canadians. To date, lectures have been held on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts and in central Canada.
Dr. Zita Cobb, an honorary degree recipient from Memorial, established Shorefast in 2004 to build a resilient community on Fogo Island.
Past sponsors have included:
- Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers
- Canadian Healthy Ocean Network
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Genome BC
- Memorial University
- Ocean Management Research Network
- Linking Science with Local Knowledge Working Group
- Oceanworks International
- Pacific Salmon Foundation
- Parks Canada
- Province of British Columbia
- Province of Newfoundland
- Royal Canadian Geographical Society
- Royal Society of Canada
- Simon Fraser University
- cGrasp (Consortium for Genomic Research of all Salmonids Project)
- Ting Series on Understanding Climate Change
- Centre for Coastal Science and Management
- Faculty of Environment
- Faculty of Science
- Vancouver Aquarium and Marine Sciences Centre
Learn more about former Canada Lecture Series here.