Halloween at the Garden
Hallowe'en Howl 2022: October 29 & 30; 10 AM- 3 PM
What’s the scariest thing about Hallowe'en? The plants!!! Walk amongst the poisonous plants at the BOO-tanical Garden for lots of family fun and learn why bats, owls, crows, spiders, and even the plants aren’t all that scary once you get to know them. This program is ideal for children ages 1-10, and is a non-scary program - no jump scares, no "gore," but do expect to see bats, spiders. and skeletons! Our goal is to have fun while learning all about the nature-based symbols that are used during Hallowe'en. Lots of hands-on fun for everyone!
Activities this weekend include:
- Guided tours*: Join a member of our Education staff as they take you through the trails and gardens to look for the different signs of Hallowe'en. How many bats, scarecrows, and pumpkins can you find? Duck feed provided.
- Scavenger hunt (11 AM): How many orange and gold pumpkins can you find? If you find the right one, you may win tickets to our Merry and Bright Light Festival! All participants will receive a small prize.
- Poisonous plant tour: Take this self-guided tour around MUN Botanical Garden and learn all about the dangerous plants we spend every day around! Plants have been identified in the gardens with a tombstone.
- Leaf pile: Fun for children and adults alike, participate in the long-loved tradition of making (and jumping in) leaf piles! (weather permitting - we need leaves to fall and dry days to collect them!)
- Storytime: join a Friends of the Garden volunteer to hear favourite Hallowe'en stories.
Children in costume enter for FREE!
FREE for Season Pass Holders and MUN students.
* Because this is a public event we cannot guarantee that groups will be kept together, or that other members of the public won't join along in the guided tour. Our tours aim to have ~20 people in them and run every 15-20 minutes, or as there is interest. Aside from the tour and the scavenger hunt, all other activities are ongoing throughout the day.
Haunted Howl: Creatures of the Night
Calling all Guiding, Scouting, and other Youth groups! Join us for an after-hours guided forest walk and learn about what goes bump in the night! We will demystify the scary sounds you hear in nature when it is dreadfully dark outside. Learn about the history of Hallowe'en and some local folklore.
This is a 1-hour educational walk, and there are NO jump scares. We recommend this program for ages 9 and up as the walk is dark and spooky in nature. Parental discretion is advised.
Admission is limited. Offered October 17 – 29, at either 6:00-7:00pm, or 7:00-8:00pm.
For more information or to book your group, contact us!
- Groups must have a minimum of 12 kids to participate.
- Kids must be accompanied by at least 2 leaders (no charge)