FOG members support both the Garden's mission and FOG's goals by participating in a variety of events and activities throughout the year. The membership application process and membership benefits are explained here.
A sampling of the volunteer opportunities that may be available:
- Office Tasks - Inventory, Filing, etc.
- Bird Walk Leaders
- Nature & Event Photography
- Trail Patrol
- Support for Garden staff in Visitor Services and the Gift Shop
- Garden Clean-Up (April/May)
- Special Events - Daytime (May-October)
- Special Events - Evenings/Weekends (May-October)
- FOG Plant Sales (June & September)
- Merry & Bright Light Festival (December)
FOG Working Groups
- Carpentry Group - Tuesday mornings - Max 15 (October-May)
- Horticultural Group - Wednesday mornings - Max 40 (May-November)
- Board of Directors (September - June)
FOG Board of Directors Opportunities
As a transaction-based board, directors are responsible for both the strategic and operational aspects of FOG. Supported by other volunteers, directors manage all of FOG's affairs as a Canadian charity and a company incorporated under provincial laws. The board meets as required between the months of September and June, either virtually or in meeting space provided by the Garden. Meetings are typically held late in the afternoon to allow for participation by the Garden's Director during their working day. Where attendance in person is not possible, technologies are used to allow for members' participation in board meetings.
The officer positions of the current Board are: President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The skills and experiences of this core group is complemented by those of three to five additional Directors with special project responsibilities. Directors are elected for two-year terms. Directors serving as officers serve in these positions for at least one year or until their replacements are recruited. Descriptions of directors' roles and responsibilities are available from FOG's current Secretary by contacting email@example.com.