Frequently Asked Questions Field Services

All of the teacher education programs in Primary/Elementary and Intermediate/Secondary include a theoretical and practical component. The practical components are the school-based field experiences.

1) What are the Field Experiences?

In the Primary/Elementary 1st Degree program, the field experiences will include 10 Observation Days and a 13 week extended internship.

In the Primary/Elementary 2nd Degree program, the experiences include 25 Introductory Field Experience days, Integrated Experience Days, as well as a 10 week extended internship.

In the Intermediate/Secondary program, the field experiences include a two-week Introductory Internship (fall semester) and a 12 week extended internship (winter semester).

2) Where can I complete my Field Experiences?

Generally the Primary/Elementary observation days/introductory field experience days and the Intermediate/Secondary Introductory Internship are completed in St. John’s or the surrounding area. However, if a student has transportation and they wish to be placed outside of the metro region, this will be considered. Observation days/introductory field experience days and Introductory Internship requests for outside of the metro region are reviewed on a case by case basis.

The extended internship in Primary/Elementary and Intermediate/Secondary are generally completed within the province. However, if there is a special request from a student to be placed outside of the province (such as their home province), this will be considered. Out of province placements are reviewed on a case by case basis.

There are some national and international internship possibilities. The Memorial University campus in Harlow allows for internship placements in England. From time to time, the Faculty partners with other Canadian school divisions. These internships are considered on a case by case basis and may not always be available.

3) Are there any special requirements to complete the field experiences?

To be approved to complete observation days, introductory field experiences, introductory internships or extended internships in a school setting, students must submit to the Field Services Office a clear Code of Conduct (Criminal Record Check) and a Vulnerable Sector Check (clearing you to work with a vulnerable population). If completing experiences within NLESD, they must be listed as the ordering institution, along with Memorial University, Faculty of Education. Criminal Record and Vulnerable sector Checks must be less than 6 months old at the start date of any in school experiences. School districts require these forms before allowing our students in the schools. To facilitate this process, we have partnered with and assured the districts that we will not allow our students to begin any field experiences without first receiving these checks.

**Out of province students applying to second degree programs should apply for their police checks through their local police departments or the RCMP before beginning at the Faculty of Education, as in school experiences begin shortly into the program.

4) Can I arrange my own field experiences?

No. The Field Services office works in partnership with our provincial school district (NLESD) and school principals to facilitate all placements. All out of province placements are facilitated by our office.

5) Can I intern in the same school that I completed my Observation Days/ Introductory Internship in?

Yes. However, it may be advisable to complete your Field Experiences in more than one school to increase your exposure.

6) Can I intern in a school where a relative is on staff or a student of the school?

It is not advisable to intern is a school where a member of your family is a teacher or an administrator. Further, you will be unable to intern in a classroom with your own child/sibling/ etc.