Community Development & Social Support
- Aboriginal Sport & Recreation Circle of Newfoundland and Labrador: Promoting activity and sports participation in Aboriginal communities. Contact: Todd Winters (Executive Director) - firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-896-9218.
- Charles J. Andrew Youth Treatment Centre: Aboriginal holistic treatment centre. Contact: email@example.com, 709-497-8995 (local) or 1-800-497-8995 (toll-free).
- Innu Development Limited Partnership: Supporting Innu business opportunities. Contact: 709-896-3174 or 709-896-3185.
- Kangidluasuk Student Program: Create community opportunities for Inuit youth. Contact: Mandy Arnold (Executive Director and Program Coordinator) - firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-922-1045.
- Labrador Aboriginal Training Partnership: Skills training for Innu and Inuit people of Labrador. Contact: 709-896-3500 (local) or 1-877-896-5006 (toll-free).
- Sivunivut Corporation, Inc.: Support economic development in Inuit communities. Contact: Wendy Hillier (Program Coordinator) email@example.com, 709-497-8406.
- First Light Contact Link (formerly the St. John's Native Friendship Centre): Promoting Aboriginal culture and providing supportive services. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-726-5902.
Government (Regional, Provincial, and Federal)
- Advocate for Children and Youth: Focus on child and youth issues through raising awareness, providing services, providing representation, etc. Contact: email@example.com, 709-753-3888 (local) or 1-877-753-3888 (toll-free).
- Benoit First Nations: Representing the interests of the Benoit Lnu'k/Mi'kmaq community. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-757-9444.
- Department of Health and Community Services: Department of the NL government responsible for providing health and community services, promoting health, and engaging in policy development. Contact: email@example.com, 709-729-4984 (Main); 709-729-3756 (Aboriginal Health).
- Government of Newfoundland and Labrador: List of services provided by the provincial government relating to all social determinants of health.
- Innu Nation: Representing the interests of the Innu of Labrador. Contact: 709-478-8755 (Natuashish).
- Sheshatshiu Innu First Nation: Local council representing the Innu of Sheshatshiu. Contact: 709-497-8522.
- Kitpu First Nation: Representing the interests of the Kitpu first nation Mi'kmaq. Contact: 709-721-4856.
- Mi’kmaq First Nation Assembly of Newfoundland: Representing the interests of the Mi'kmaq of Newfoundland. Contact: 709-388-6362.
- Miawpukek First Nation: Local government of the Miawpukek Mi’kamawey Mawi’omi First Nation Reserve. Contact: 709-882-2470 (local) or 1-866-882-2470 (toll-free).
- Nunatsiuvut Government: Regional government representing the Inuit people of Newfoundland and Labrador. Contact: 709-922-2942 (Main).
- Contacts by department.
- Inuit Pathways: Skills training program offered by the Department of Education and Economic development of the Nunatsiuvut government. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-877-923-2171.
- NunatuKavut Community Council, Inc.: Representing the interests of the Southern Inuit of NunatuKavut. Contact: email@example.com, 709-896-0592 (local), or 1-877-896-0592 (toll-free).
- Public Health Agency of Canada Atlantic: Atlantic regional office of PHAC, with programs focusing on population-level health such as disease prevention and programs focused on specific populations like Aboriginal communities and early childhood. Contact: 1-844-280-5020 (National Line).
- Qalipu First Nation Band: Representing the interests of the Mi'kmaq of Newfoundland.
- Women's Policy Office: Branch of the provincial government focusing on supporting women. Contact: 709-729-5009.
- Listing of regional status of women councils with contact information.
- Violence Prevention Initiative: Provincial initiative to address and prevent violence in the province with ten regional committees throughout the province. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-729-5009.
- Violence Prevention Labrador: Based out of Happy Valley-Goose Bay. Contact: Petrina Beals (Executive Director) - email@example.com, 709-899-3231.
Memorial University Departments
- Faculty of Medicine: Includes several programs such as the undergraduate M. D. program, Master of Health Ethics, and Master of Public Health.
- List of Contacts.
- Aboriginal Health Initiative (Faculty of Medicine): Promote post-secondary education in Aboriginal communities. Contact: Dr. Carolyn Sturge-Sparkes - firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-864-4938.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Applied Health Research: Conduct, support, and translate research, typically revolving around health. Contact: email@example.com, 709-777-6993.
- Office of Public Engagement: Promote community engagement at the university and support university departments in participating in community engagement. Contact: Main - firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-864-7352; Morgan Murray (Outreach Specialist) - email@example.com.
- The Harris Centre: Support and conduct community-based research at Memorial. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-864-3143.
- Student Life: Helping students be successful at Memorial through provision of supports, guidance, and community connections. Contact: Dr. Shannon Lewis-Simpson - email@example.com, 709-864-2607.
- Aboriginal Resource Office: Support for Aboriginal students at Memorial. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-864-3495.
Promoting Aboriginal Culture
- First Light a registered non-profit organization that serves the urban Indigenous and non-Indigenous community alike by providing programs and services rooted in the revitalization, strengthening and celebration of Indigenous cultures and languages in the spirit of trust, respect, and friendship. Contact Link
- Bay St. George Mi'kmaq Cultural Revival Committee: Promotes Mi'kmaq culture. Contact: 709-647-1370.
- OkalaKatiget Society: Regional programming service (e. g. radio) that promotes Inuit culture. Contact: email@example.com, 709-922-2187.
- Torngasok Cultural Centre: Cultural centre promoting Labrador Inuit culture. Contact: Belinda Webb (Director of Culture) - firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-922-2942 ext. 252.
- Mokami Status of Women Council: Feminist organization supporting women in the Upper Lake Melville region of Labrador. Contact: email@example.com, 709-896-3484, ext. 205.
- Newfoundland Aboriginal Women's Network: Providing support to Aboriginal women throughout Newfoundland. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, 709-643-1290.
- Women's Economic Council: National organization supporting the success of women. Contact: info@WomensEconomicCouncil.ca, 1-800-584-0252.