Canadian Opportunities in French

Odyssey  (Language Assistant in a francophone milieu in Canada)

The application period opens in late October and closes on February 28.  Make sure your on-line application is complete and that all sets of supporting documents have been sent to your provincial or territorial coordinator prior to the February 28 deadline.

Only about 20 students per year avail of this program.

9-month contract, students receive a salary of $25,000 for 25 hours of work per week assisting teachers in a francophone school.  They also get two return tickets home.  Students are responsible for their own living expenses, including housing.

Only requirement: to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (not based on abilities to speak French).


YCW - Young Canada Works

Canada Works (YCW) offers students and recent graduates the chance to put their skills to the test, build career equity, earn money for their education or get started on the right career path.

Summer jobs and internships give young people access to unique opportunities to learn and work, whether to practice their second language, work in a museum, an Aboriginal friendship centre or even travel abroad.

There are over 2,300 job opportunities per year in the fields of heritage, arts, culture and official languages.  Consult the website below for more information on applications and much more.


Parliamentary Guide Program

What does a parliamentary guide do?  A Parliamentary guide welcomes visitors to Parliament, leads guided tours of Central Block, which houses Canada's Senate, House of Common and Library of Parliament, greets visitors in the Peace Tower and Memorial Chamber and offers guided tours of the restored historic rooms of East Block.  The program runs from Labour Day to mid-May with a one-week training period in late August.

$22.29 per hour for 10-30 hours a week in Fall/Winter (an average of 40h in Summer), plus travel costs and $1,000  (Summer only) for living allowance in Ottawa (assistance with finding accommodations at one of the local universities and partial reimbursement of airfare).  Must be fulltime university students and must be bilingual.