Virtual Meetings (Webex)
Webex is a suite of online meeting tools that allow you to meet with participants inside and outside of Memorial using your computer, mobile device and/or telephone.
All Memorial faculty and staff may request a Webex host account to host meetings and other online events. Users other than faculty and staff (e.g. students) require the approval of a faculty or staff sponsor.
Quick start quide
Memorial's Webex service can be accessed by going to https://mun.webex.com/. First time users should follow these instructions:
- Once your account is created, you will receive an activation email from Cisco.com.
- Click on "Activate".
- Click on "Sign In".
- Enter your MUN e-mail address as your MUN Login ID followed by @mun.ca and select "Next".
- Login using your MUN Login credentials.
You may find the Cisco Webex Desktop App and Cisco Webex Productivity Tools improves your Webex experience. These are applications for meeting management as well as Microsoft Outlook Calendar integration. They can be installed from Windows devices using the Microsoft Software Center (for domain-connected devices). Alternatively, you may be able to download and install them directly from https://mun.webex.com/ (under “Downloads” on the left navigation bar). For assistance, please contact the ITS Service Desk.
Webex provides 2GB of temporary, non-archival cloud storage for access to recordings in the immediate or current academic term. If long-term storage is necessary (e.g. lectures that will be reused, webinars, etc.), users should download and transfer their cloud recordings to suitable long-term storage solutions.
Webex recordings can be stored in Webex for a maximum of 3 years. After 3 years, the recordings will be automatically moved to the “Deleted” folder (with user notification) and then permanently deleted after another 30 days. Users will be notified via their @mun.ca email when recordings are approaching this maximum retention period.
Instructors who require assistance with the management of their recordings for instructional purposes should contact the Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL). CITL has also developed a resource for downloading Webex recordings.
How to review your recordings
You can review your recordings by logging into https://mun.webex.com/ and clicking on “Recordings”. From here, you can download recordings you wish to keep as well as delete recordings that need to be kept.
- Using Webex for teaching
- Using Outlook to schedule meetings on behalf of others
- Remote working best practices
- Using Webex with low bandwidth
- Best practices for securing Webex meetings
- Vice-Presidents Council supported the enterprise license to provide a secure, standard solution to the university and remove the need for units to purchase individual video conferencing licenses.
- Webex licenses are available to all active Memorial faculty or staff at no cost.
- If university functions necessitate, other members of the university community can be sponsored by a faculty or staff member to use Webex (i.e. a graduate student).
- Webex video conferencing technology has been reviewed by Memorial’s Privacy and Information Management and Protection offices and complies with privacy and security requirements.
- Memorial Webex users can avail of support from ITS by contacting the ITS Service Desk and for teaching and learning purposes, CITL staff are also trained to support Webex. Online training materials are available through ITS and CITL.
- Webex is flexible and supports users connecting through various ways - join from a computer, mobile device and/or telephone.
- Uptake on Webex across Memorial has been phenomenal which supports cross use, standardization, enhanced compatibility and overall user familiarity with the technology.
- Memorial’s Webex integrates with existing infrastructure such as the university’s learning management system (Brightspace) and email and calendaring (Outlook). Other integration opportunities are being considered for the return to campus, such as integration with Polycom units in boardrooms.
- Webex scales well for large sessions and can accommodate up to 1,000 participants in a single session through flexible conferencing options that are included in Memorial’s Enterprise contract:
- Meetings - used for boardroom style meetings
- Training - designed for lecture based sessions
- Events - allows pre-registration in advance of an online event
Questions? Contact the ITS Service Desk .