Student populations

Indigenous graduate students

Staff in the Indigenous Student Resource Centre are working remotely and continuing to provide support and services on: tutoring, writing sessions, cultural and social supports, academic supports and referrals, and Indigenous scholarship information and guidance. For more information, please contact the Indigenous Student Resource Centre.

If we can assist further, please email us at You will get a response within one business day.

Graduate students with families

We continue to offer a number of programs remotely for graduate students with families and advice on family health care, schools, daycares, family tax benefits, work and volunteer opportunities for spouses and partners, ESL opportunities, and local community supports and services. Graduate students with families and dependents can seek support through our Family Advisor. Please note that this service is available to all graduate studies with families.

If you are a parent in Newfoundland and Labrador, the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District offers confidential, individual counselling services from Monday to Friday, 9 am to 3 pm. For more information, please call 1-833-772-0007. The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador also provides an extensive list of family and social supports.

The St. John’s Women’s Centre provides individual and group counseling, information sessions, and programs for women and supports on many issues including social isolation, mental health, violence, marginalization, poverty, housing, trauma, and system navigation.

Local Resources:

Local Virtual Programs:

Virtual Museums:

Educational tools:

Mental Health Supports:

If we can assist further, please email us at You will get a response within one business day.

International graduate students

Services for international graduate students continue to be offered remotely, including career advising, immigration advising, family supports, health insurance advising, and housing advising. For information on how to book appointments, please visit the Internationalization Office website. If you are planning to leave St. John’s, please ensure you discuss your plans with your supervisor and/or graduate officer. Please consult with one of the advisors in the Internationalization Office to ensure you have proper authorization for future return (if necessary) and adequate health insurance coverage.

After graduating from your program of studies at Memorial University, international graduate students who complete their programs may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). To determine your eligibility to apply for PGWP, please visit Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Global Affairs Canada’s International Education Division has created a list of resources specifically for international students including information on immigration status, benefits eligibility, health care, and more. Visit the Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for international students webpage for more information.

If we can assist further, please email us at You will get a response within one business day.

Part-time graduate students

Part-time graduate students have access to the full range of services and supports offered to all graduate students at Memorial. For a quick list of common inquiries, request, resources, forms, and contact information, please visit the SGS website.

If we can assist further, please email us at You will get a response within one business day.


School of Graduate Studies

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000