What Courses Should I Take in First Year?
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) programs generally take four years to complete. Students must choose a major and they may also choose a minor.
Major Subject Areas
So, what courses should you take in first year? B.Sc. students must complete the following core degree requirements:
- Two courses in critical reading and writing (CRW), including at least one in English
- Two courses in mathematics/statistics
- Two courses each of two sciences other than mathematics/statistics.
It is recommended that you complete the core degree requriements in your first year of study.
Check out a sample program of suggested first year courses for each of the majors available within the B.Sc. degree:
- Behavioural Neuroscience
- Chemistry (including computational and biological)
- Computer Science (including data centric computing, visual computing and gaming, and smart systems)
- Earth Sciences
- Mathematics and Statistics (including pure and applied mathematics)
- Marine Biology
- Ocean Sciences (including environmental systems)
- Physics and Physical Oceanograpny (including environmental physics and ocean physics)