NLCAHR Awards Guide - Master's Thesis Research Grants
Grants per Funding Cycle: Up to 2
Application Deadline: July 20, 2015
Purpose & General Guidelines
To help Master's candidates cover the costs associated with the research for their theses on applied health research topics, a research account will be established for each successful candidate and that account will serve to reimburse eligible research expenses submitted by the candidate for work on the candidate’s thesis.
Supervisors signing more than one application to this competition in any given year must indicate to the Peer Review Committee the order in which they would rank the applicants they are supporting.
- The applicant must be enrolled in a Master's program at Memorial University
- The applicant must be working, or about to begin working, on a thesis project, approved by his\her academic unit, on a topic relevant to the priority themes of NLCAHR
- The applicant must have an average of at least 75% or the equivalent in their current academic program.
Selection Criteria for Master's Thesis Grants
- Relevance of the topic of the thesis to the priority themes of NLCAHR
- Merit of the proposal, based on:
- Quality of the proposed project
- Potential contribution to applied health research
- Achievements of the applicant in terms of grades, awards and publications
- Payment for data or data services
- Payment for the costs of interviews and focus groups
- General office expenses and supplies necessary to carry out the research, including computer equipment and software
- Compensation for reasonable expenses incurred by research subjects participating in the research
- Technical advice
- Field travel for research and the dissemination of results, at standard rates allowed at Memorial University
- Cost of printing, photocopying, postage, telephone and fax services, computing services
- Costs of obtaining copyright releases and payments under copyright agreements
- Costs for publication in open access journals
- Other expenses as deemed appropriate by NLCAHR
When completing your application, be sure to download the BLANK form to your hard drive first. Then, complete the form and save it to your hard drive using Adobe Acrobat; if you work on the forms online (e.g., fill them out in Safari or Google Chrome), changes will not be saved when the forms are downloaded for emailing.
The following information is to be submitted to NLCAHR by 4:30pm NST on July 20, 2015:
- Application Form (electronically)
- Referee Report Form (electronically or hard copy)
- Student Authorization Form (hardcopy)
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts (hardcopy directly from issuing institution)