Attractions and Activities
Arts and Entertainment
- The First Space Art Gallery in The Commons of the Queen Elizabeth II Library features the work of graduates in the Fine Arts program at Memorial's Sir Wilfred Grenfell Campus.
- MUN Cinema Series screens recent indie films at 7 p.m. on Wednesdays at Cineplex Theatres in the Avalon Mall.
- Arts and Culture Centre features a theatre, reference libraries, art galleries and is home to the A.C. Hunter Public Library.
Culture and Heritage
- The Queen Elizabeth II Library is one of Canada's best university libraries and the largest east of Montreal.
- The Johnson Geo Centre is a world-class geological interpretation centre.
- The Rooms Provincial Art Gallery features more than 6,000 artworks by primarily Canadian and provincial artists.
- The Dr. C. R. Barrett Library on the Marine Institute campus houses one of Canada’s largest marine related resource collections.
- The Great Hall at Queen’s College features exhibits of Newfoundland and Labrador archaeology and material culture artifacts. Call (709) 864-8869 for exhibit information.
- Memorial University Botanical Garden features plants native to the province and cultivated plants suited to the local climate.
- The Bonne Bay Marine Station in Gros Morne National Park, near Grenfell Campus, offers guided tours of its aquarium and touch tank daily from June to September.
- The Marine Institute planetarium, operated by the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - St. John's Centre, hosts shows from October to June, Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 6:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. for $2 a person. To book, please call (709) 778-0544.
- The Ocean Sciences Centre is Memorial University’s Faculty of Science’s cold ocean research facility featuring a summer Visitor's Program, outdoor touch tank and seal compound.
- Pippy Park is a 14-square kilometre urban park offering spectacular views of the city and the Atlantic Ocean, with year-round recreational opportunities.
- The Memorial Sea-Hawks consist of 12 varsity teams in six sports, including soccer, cross-country running, volleyball, basketball, swimming and wrestling.
Office of the CIO
230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9
Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7
Tel: (709) 864-8000