French Immersion FAQ



Information for French Immersion Graduates

Many students from high schools in Newfoundland and Labrador and increasingly often, from other public and private French Immersion schools around the country attend Memorial University. Continuing French study is important to many students; the following questions and answers consider the needs of French Immersion graduates.

I did French Immersion and want to Major (or Minor) in French so do I have to register for French 2159/2160?

Students who are interested in a Major or Minor in French must register in French 2100 and 2101. French 2159/2160 is a sequence for students who have done immersion and are interested in improving their skills but who are not completing a major or minor. (Students should note that at the moment they can use 2159/2160 in lieu of 2100/2101 towards a minor or major, but as of the academic year 2013-2014 this will no longer be an option.)

What first-year course should I take? I am a French Immersion student.

Dr. Barbara Thistle is our First Year Coordinator. She has developed this useful tool for assessing which course you should register for upon registration at Memorial.

If you still have questions, please contact Dr. Thistle (