- BFA (Nova Scotia College of Art & Design)
- Creative Writing, Canadian Literature, Literature of the Americas
- Office: AA 3021
- Telephone: (709) 864-8296
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Writing fiction, creative non-fiction, art criticism, stage plays, and collectively written dramatic podcasts
- Something for Everyone (short stories) . Forthcoming, August 2018.
- Flannery. Groundwood Press, 2016 (published simultaneously in the US). *Translated into French (Boreal) and German (Sauerlander).
- Caught. House of Anansi Press, 2013. *Published by Chatto & Windus (UK) and Grove/Atlantic (US); translated into Italian (Bollati Boringhiere Editore), French (Editions Denoel), German (Carl Hanser Verlag), Dutch (Uitgeverij Karaat), and Russian (AST Licence Limited).
- Selected Short Stories by Lisa Moore. House of Anansi Press, 2011.
- February. House of Anansi Press, 2009. *Published by Chatto & Windus (UK) and Grove/Atlantic (US); translated into French (Plon in France and Boreal in Quebec), Spanish (Edicoes 451), Italian (Bollati Boringhieri), German (Hanser), and Dutch (Meulenhoff).
- Alligator. House of Anansi Press, 2005. *Published by Little, Brown (UK) and Grove/Atlantic (US); translated into Turkish (Erko Yayincilik), French (Editions du Boreal), and German (Carl Hanser Verlag).
- Open: Stories. House of Anansi Press, 2002. *Published by Little, Brown (UK); translated into French (Editions du Boreal).
- Degrees of Nakedness: Stories. 1995. House of Anansi Press, 2014.
- The Democracy Cookbook. ISER Books, 2017.
- Racket: New Writing Made in Newfoundland. Breakwater Books, 2015.
- Great Expectations: 24 True Stories about Birth (co-editor Dede Crane). House of Anansi Press, 2008.
- Penguin Anthology of Canadian Women’s Short Stories. Penguin, 2006.
Stage Plays and Adaptations (single authored)
- Your Daughter Fanny. Libretto written with composer Alice Ho, opera singer Caroline Schiller, Duo Concertante’s Timothy Steeves and Nancy Dahn, produced and performed at Tuckamore Festival, 15 August 2017.
- Bonne Bay Incident. The monologue of Agnes Benoit in a collectively written radio play produced for a live audience, Woody Point Writers’ Festival, 2017.
- February.Contemporary Newfoundland Plays, edited by Denyse Lynde. Breakwater, 2016.
- February. Performed at Alumnae Theatre, Toronto, and Rising Tide Theatre, St. John’s, 2012.
- “ForePlay.” C2C Theatre Company, Resource Centre for the Arts, St. John’s, 2006. *Published in The New Quarterly, vol. 103, August 2007.
- Switching Places. Text by Lisa Moore and Jessica Grant. Images of Marlene MacCallum and David Morrish. Center for Book and Paper Arts, 2014.
- “Snowsqualls in May.” Luminous Ink, edited by Rabinranath Maharaj, Tessa McWatt, and Dionne Brand, Cormorant Books, 2017.
- Introduction. The Bush Garden, by Northrop Frye, House of Anansi Press, 2017, pp. 1-6.
- “But Lovers with the Intensity I’m Talking About.” The Breakwater Book of Contemporary Newfoundland Short Fiction, edited by Larry Mathews, Breakwater Books, 2015, pp. 157-82.
- Introduction. Racket: New Writing Made in Newfoundland. Breakwater Books, 2015, pp. 7-17.
- Introduction. Waiting for Time, by Bernice Morgan, Breakwater Books, 2015, pp. 10-14.
- Introduction. Hard Light, by Michael Crummey. Brick Books, 2015, pp. 11-14.
- “Leaves and Thickets.” Kwe: Standing with Our Sisters, edited by Joseph Boyden, Random House, 2014, pp. 31-33.
- Introduction. The Danger Tree, by David MacFarlane, McClelland & Stewart, 2014, pp. 1-6.
- Introduction. This All Happened, by Michael Winter, House of Anansi Press, 2013, pp. 1-4.
- Introduction. Reading by Lightning, by Joan Thomas, Goose Lane Editions, 2011.
- “My Father’s Afterlife.” Penguin Anthology about Fathers and Daughters. Penguin, 2010.
- Introduction. Penguin Anthology of Canadian Women’s Short Stories. Penguin, 2006.
Short Stories, Essays, and Articles in Scholarly Journals, Literary Journals, Magazines, and Newspapers
- “Fjord of Eternity” (short story). Granta Magazine, U.K., Fall 2017, pp. 261-276.
- “Marconi” (short story). The Globe and Mail, 18 May 2017.
- “Visions” (short story). Taddle Creek, Spring 2017.
- “Lighting up the Dark” (short story). Toronto Star, 23 December 2016.
- “The Shoe Emporium” (short story). The Walrus, July-August, 2016. *Chosen for republication in Best Canadian Stories 2017 (forthcoming), pp. 121-141.
- “Hat Ein Haus in Neufundland.” Die Welt, 21 March 2015.
- “Rings within Rings.” Interview with Leesa Dean. The New Quarterly, vol. 133, March 2015.
- “All Zoos Everywhere.” McGrath-Hill Online Public School Textbook. McGrath-Hill, 2015.
- “Faerie Tale.” Elle Magazine, December 2015, pp. 2-10.
- “A Labour of Love: Mary Pratt’s Survey Exhibition Glows.” Canadian Art, vol. 30, no. 4, 2014, pp. 114-120.
- “The Retreat.” Dans La Ville. In derStadt. In the City. Goethe Institut zine. 8 October 2014.
- “The Other Fifth Avenue.” Cottage Life, Summer 2014, pp. 52-58, 116. *Nominated for a National Magazine Award.
- “How to Illustrate a Poem: The Art of Alan Stein.” DA: A Journal of Printing Arts, vol. 74, Spring/Summer 2014, pp. 29-39.
- “On Childhood Books: Black Beauty.” Brick, vol. 90, Winter 2013.
- “Todd Saunders’ Breathtaking Fogo Island Inn.” Azure Magazine (Architecture and Design), 7 October 2013.
- “The Challenges and Rewards of Re-entering the Workforce” (short story). The Walrus, October 2013.
- “Mavis Gallant in Malibu.” Brick, vol. 80, Winter 2007.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Keynote Speaker, “Is that You Atlantic Blue?: Anthropomorphizing the North Atlantic in a Boom and Bust Oil Economy.” Negotiating Waters: Seas, Oceans and Passageways in the Colonial and Postcolonial Anglophone World, 15-16 February 2018, Université Grenoble Alpes, France.
- Keynote Reading, The Future of Nature Conference, 11 September 2015. Memorial University of Newfoundland Grenfell Campus, Canada.
- Keynote Address, Atlantic Provinces Libraries Association Conference, 12 July 2015, St. John’s, Canada.
- “Judging as Canada Changes, Balancing Rights.” Keynote Address, National Judicial Institute Conference, 2015, St. John’s, Canada.
- Invited Panelist, Alice Munro International Symposium, 9 May 2014, University of Ottawa.
- Keynote Speaker, Canadian Creative Writers and Writing Programs Annual Conference, 17 May 2014, University of British Columbia.
Current Research Projects
I am the host of State of the Arts, a monthly Facebook-live interview show where I interview professors from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences about their research at Memorial. So far, there have been three episodes of State of the Arts.
Current Creative Projects
I am beginning a new novel, set in contemporary St. John’s, exploring Newfoundland’s boom and bust oil economy as it touches down in the lives of people in a downtown neighbourhood caught in the grip of poverty and violence.
Other Professional Activities
I frequently give talks, speak on panels, and give readings at literary festivals, libraries, high schools, and universities across Canada and abroad.
- Critical Eye Award (Excellence in Visual Arts Writing), 2014.
- Writers’ Trust of Canada, Engel/Findley Award, 2013.
- CBC Canada Reads (for February), 2013.
- New Yorker’s Best Books of 2010 (for February), 2009.
- Commonwealth Prize for the Canadian/Caribbean Region (for Alligator), 2006.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Artist of the Year, 2006.
- The Canadian Authors’ Association Jubilee Award for Short Fiction (for Open), 2003.
- Anne Connor Brimer Award for Children’s Literature, Atlantic Book Award ( Flannery), 2016.
- Schwartz Award for Young Adult Novels ( Flannery), 2016.
- Scotia Bank Giller Prize ( Caught), 2013.
- Roger’s Writers’ Trust Fiction Award ( Caught), 2013.
- Commonwealth Prize for Canadian/Caribbean Region ( February), 2009
- Winterset Award ( February), 2009.
- The Giller Prize ( Alligator), 2006.
- The Thomas Randall Award ( Alligator), 2006.
- The Giller Prize ( Open), 2003.
Regularly Taught Courses
- English 2905: Introduction to Creative Writing
- English 3903: Introduction to Creative Writing: Nonfiction
- English 4910: Advanced Creative Writing: Fiction
- English 7090: Creative Writing: Fiction
Honours And Graduate Supervision
I supervise Masters students who are engaged in writing a creative thesis and students who are engaged in writing creative honours projects.