New graduate students

Congratulations on your admission to Memorial University. We know you may have many questions. We have provided the information below to help you with your planning and preparation for the start of your graduate program. For general information on steps to take as a new graduate student, please refer to the New Graduate Student webpage. For further updates and other important updates related to covid-19 planning, please refer to the Memorial University’s Information Hub. Regardless of the method by which programs are delivered, we want to assure you that Memorial will continue to maintain the very high quality of graduate teaching, supervision, and student experience that we are known for.

Graduate students in research programs (updated November 15, 2021)

  • In keeping with Memorial’s return to campus, the St. John’s campus will be fully resuming research in on-campus research spaces, fieldwork and research involving interactions with research participants. For more information please visit the Research website.

  • As a leading teaching and research university, Memorial is home to some of the top scholars in their fields and finest supervisors in the nation. We are committed to making your learning experience as a graduate student a positive one. Wherever possible, Memorial will be as flexible as possible to ensure you are able to commence your program.

  • If you have been newly admitted to a research program (i.e., one requiring a thesis), we would encourage you to contact your supervisor to discuss options regarding the commencement of your program.

  • For some research students who are not able to travel to campus, it may be possible to commence research remotely with the help of your supervisor. If this is not possible, you may wish to discuss the possibility of commencing your program by mostly taking courses in the first semester and focusing on other activities (e.g., literature review) that can be done remotely (and deferring research to later in the program). If upon discussing with your supervisor it is not feasible to travel to campus or commence your program, you may wish to ask your supervisor for a deferral of admission by the appropriate deadline.

  • Memorial will maintain its commitment to graduate student funding. For graduate students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada or international students but residing in Canada with a Canadian Social Insurance Number, funding and graduate assistantships will be paid in the normal way.

  • For international graduate students who are starting their programs remotely outside of Canada and without a Social Insurance Number, graduate funding will be paid directly into their student account on a biweekly basis. This will ensure graduate students are not accruing fees while pursuing their programs. When at a later date it is possible to arrive on campus to complete their programs, those graduate students will be issued the remaining funds owing for the academic year (these funds cannot be released any earlier). Whenever possible, graduate assistantships (i.e., employment) will be reserved for international students for later in their programs. If the graduate assistantship is not possible, this amount will be paid as a fellowship later in the program.

  • Memorial University is committed to the goal of phasing in of access to on-campus research spaces, fieldwork and face-to-face interactions with research participants while ensuring the health and safety of Memorial’s students, staff, faculty, research participants and collaborators, as well as the broader community in which Memorial exists. For more information on on-campus research and scholarly activities, please refer to Memorial University’s Information Hub.

International graduate students (updated November 15, 2021)

  • Memorial is widely acknowledged as one of the best universities in Canada in terms of international graduate student experience and supports. Regardless of where you are, we will continue to support you in and outside of your degree program to ensure you have the best possible experience as a graduate student.

  • If you are planning on coming to Canada to complete your diploma or degree, please apply for a study permit immediately through the IRCC website. You may apply for a study permit online even if the Visa Application Centre near you is closed. You’ll find detailed instructions on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. You’ll also find information specific to MUN graduate students on this page. After you apply, you may be asked to submit documentation (e.g., medical exam) or information (e.g., biometrics) that might not be accessible at this time. We are advised that IRCC will account for these delays and hold onto your application until a time that you can provide all the necessary documentation.

  • If you are a new international graduate student and planning on coming to campus, please carefully review the arrivals guidance and information on the Internationalization Office website and attend the Internationalization Office’s weekly online immigration advising sessions. After your study permit application has been approved or you have received a letter of introduction (LOI) from IRCC, please complete and submit the appropriate Arrival Information and Self-Isolation form on that website. If you have questions at any time about this process, please contact Please carefully review the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for updates on travel restrictions and exemptions.

  • If you are completing a full degree online (with no intention of coming to Canada to complete your degree), then a study permit or a LOI is not required to register. If you are not completing a full degree online and decide to register or remain registered without confirmation of study permit approval (in principle or final approval), you may continue to take courses but please keep in mind you may not be able to come to Canada at a later date to complete your degree.

  • International graduate students are encouraged at any time to consult with one of MUN’s immigration advisors and their graduate officers about their options. We would also encourage you to participate in the Internationalization Office’s weekly online immigration advising sessions early and as often as you can.

  • International students are automatically enrolled the mandatory Foreign Health Insurance plan upon registration. If you are studying outside of Canada, you must opt out of this insurance. Please visit the Internationalization Office website for more information on the opt-out process and deadlines for each semester. International students are also automatically enrolled in a mandatory dental insurance upon registration. If you are studying outside of Canada, you must opt out of this insurance prior to the appropriate deadline. Please visit the Graduate Students’ Union website for information on the opt-out process and deadlines for each semester.

For further information

  • If you have specific questions regarding your graduate program, please do not hesitate to contact your Graduate Officer for further information and advice.

  • If you are an international graduate student (newly admitted or current) and have questions about your study permit, PGWP, or immigration matters in general, please don’t hesitate to contact the Internationalization Office.

  • If you have any general questions as a newly admitted or current graduate student, we are here to help you. Please email us at You’ll get an immediate response.