Transcript Definitions

Official and Unofficial Transcripts

An official transcript is one that is sent directly by the issuing institution or authority using the sending institution's security features (e.g. secure paper or institutional seal) and has not been handled by the student in any way.

An unofficial transcript is one that is either marked as unofficial by the issuing authority or is submitted by the student directly to the Office of the Registrar.

Occasionally, notarized copies of transcripts may be accepted instead of, or in addition to, original official copies (for example, if translations are required).

Notarized copies of the following ARE accepted as official copies:

  • Higher Secondary/Senior Secondary School Certificates
  • Cambridge, Excel, Pearson, or other British-patterned GCE Certificates

Notarized copies of the following are NOT accepted as official copies:

  • English Proficiency Test Score Reports (TOEFL, IELTS, CAEL, etc.)
  • WAEC or NECO Certificates
  • University Transcripts

Please inquire with the Registrar's Office if need be. See the link to contact information below.

Interim and Final Transcripts

An interim transcript is one that is submitted to the Office of the Registrar at or near the time of application that reflects in-progress registrations at the sending institution (See "Confirmation of Registrations" below).

A final transcript is one that reflects final results for all courses completed with no interim registrations remaining. Normally, a final, official transcript is required in order to make a final decision regarding admission eligibility or, for transfer students, for transfer credit evaluation.

Confirmation of current course registrations is often included as part of an interim transcript if the transcript is issued while courses are in progress. If in-progress courses are not reflected on the interim transcript, confirmation of course registrations, when requested, may be submitted in the form of a letter or separate document issued by the appropriate authority.

Issuing Authority

All official transcripts required by Memorial University for students who are applying for general admission to the University or a specific faculty or program must be sent directly to Memorial by the issuing authority and not by the student. Transcripts that are not produced in English must be translated by a certified translator and accompanied by a notarized copy of the original language document. 

The issuing authority for transcripts and other confirmations may change from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. University or College transcripts are normally issued by the institution’s Registrar’s Office/Records Office. Official transcripts for high school studies may be issued by the government office responsible for education, by the school district, by the examining agency, or by the school itself. Guidance Counsellors or Principals can confirm this if a student is not sure of the issuing authority for their high school records.

Submitting Transcripts

See the Office of the Registrar's contact information here to confirm the address for submitting documents in support of applications for admission to the University and for specific programs.



Office of the Registrar

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000