Institutional Biosafety Committee
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)
The University has established and shall maintain an IBC composed of members of the University community whose experience and training enable them to work with the biohazardous agents defined under MUN's Biosafety Program. The IBC reports to the University Health and Safety Committee (UHSC) and has the following mandate:
- Formulate and implement policies and procedures governing the use of biohazardous agents/materials.
- Provide advice on the safe use and disposal of biohazardous materials/agents in all areas under the control of the University.
- Review reports of all inspections, audits, incidents and other relevant materials presented by the BSO. Make any recommendations deemed appropriate based on the information supplied in these reports.
- Respond to biosafety issues that require immediate consultation.
- Report annually to the UHSC.
- Approve or revoke internal biosafety certificates.
- Monitor and approve revisions to the Biological Safety Manual.
- Act in accordance with the committees Terms of Reference (TOR).
The IBC is responsible for development of all policy related to biosafety at MUN including, but not limited to:
- Biosafety certificate review/approval.
- Import/export of biohazardous materials.
- Safety training.
- Biohazardous waste disposal.
- Environmental protection.
The IBC approves the use of all biohazardous materials at the University through the review/approval of biosafety certificate applications. The IBC is also responsible for monitoring the implementation of its policy as per the committee’s TOR.
Upcoming IBC meetings
September 26 2023 (submission deadline September 12 2023)
November 28 2023 (submission deadline November 14 2023)
January 30 2024 (submission deadline January 16 2023)
March 26 2024 (submission deadline March 12 2023)
May 28 2024 (submission deadline May 14 2023)
July 30 2024 (submission deadline July 16 2023)
September 24 2024 (submission deadline September 10 2023)
November 26 2024 (submission deadline November 12 2023)