- Postdoctoral Fellow, Film & Television Studies (York University, University of Toronto)
- PhD, Communications (McGill University)
- MPhil, Philosophy (Memorial University of Newfoundland)
- BA (Memorial University of Newfoundland)
- Office: AA 3034
- Telephone: (709) 864-8928
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://dwayneaveryblog.wordpress.com/
Media Studies, Film Studies, Urban Media and Cultures, Motherhood Studies
Books and Edited Collections
- Unhomely Cinema: Home and Place in Global Cinema. Anthem Press, 2014.
Articles and Book Chapters
- “Mothering from Afar: Cinema and the Ambivalence of Transnational Motherhood.” Mothers, Mothering and Globalization, edited by Dorsía Smith Silva, Laila Malik, and Abigail Palko, Demeter Press, 2017, pp. 15-33.
- “Every Child Needs a Father: The Shield and the Postfeminist Desire for Single Motherhood.” Motherhood and Lone/Single Parenting: A 21st Century Perspective, edited by Maki Motapanyane, Demeter Press, 2016, pp. 72-95.
- “TV’s New Dads: Sensitive Fatherhood and the Return of Hegemonic Masculinity.” Essential Breakthroughs: Conversations about Men, Mothers, and Mothering, edited by Fiona Green and Gary Lee Pelletier, Demeter Press, 2015, pp. 129-147.
- “(Un)Homely Revolt in Laurent Cantet’s Time Out.” Cinemascope, vol. 16, 2011, http://cinemiz.net/cifj/?p=23.
- “The Future Is Behi-nd You – The Reclamation of Place in Michel Gondry’s Be Kind Rewind.” Movement: A Media Studies Journal, vol. 1, no. 1, 2010, http://www.movementjournal.com/issue_1.1_futures_of_cinema/01_future_is_behind_avery.html.
Current Research Projects
- Anthropocene Narratives
- Ruin Photography
- Mobile Media and Home
Regularly Taught Courses
- CMST 2001
- CMST 4001
Honours and Graduate Supervision
Urban and Architectural Space in Media, Mobile Media and Conceptions of Home, Environmental Narratives, Post-Apocalyptic Narratives, Ruins in Media