CITL's Strategic Plan
Download our strategic plan. (PDF)
Better learning for all.
We foster a culture of innovation at Memorial University that creates a positive impact on learning experiences.
The following are the values that define what we believe in and how we approach our work.
Foster an environment that embraces learner-centred approaches.
Nurture an open, supportive and positive community to create a place of belonging, where ideas and expertise are shared.
Influence decisions that impact teaching and learning in the best interests of learners, educators and our community.
Use evidenced-based approaches, both formal and informal, to help guide our decisions and practices.
Explore approaches that inspire and enable continuous improvement and positive change.
inclusion and equity
Promote and create accessible, equitable environments that welcome and support diversity.
Encourage educators’ active participation and engagement to inform our work.
Recognize formal and informal leadership that inspires positive teaching and learning cultures and practices.
- Enhance educational practices and develop educational leaders across our continuum of educators.
- Consultation on the development and improvement of course and program curricula; creation of flexible learning experiences through course design, educational media and learning object development.
- Enhance assessment strategies; administer exams for online courses.
- Support educators in the practice of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning;
engage in knowledge creation and dissemination within CITL.
- Thoughtful integration of technology and teaching practices to enhance learning.
- Develop, select and maintain the University's learning tools, and facilitate their use
for students and educators.
Strategic Priority 1:
Elevate the value of teaching and learning as a scholarly practice and a core pillar of the institution by defining, fostering and recognizing teaching excellence and educational leadership.
- Explore teaching and learning topics and learn from others through communities of practice (CoP).
- Incorporate academic leadership in the planning of the annual teaching and learning conference.
- Define the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL), teaching excellence and educational leadership for the Memorial community.
- Revise the criteria of teaching and learning awards to foster recognition of teaching and learning as a scholarly practice.
- Focus faculty development opportunities on teaching effectiveness, the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) and educational leadership.
- Effectively promote innovative learning technologies and teaching methods to the Memorial community.
Strategic Priority 2:
Understand our stakeholder needs, align core services to these needs and clearly communicate these services to inform our teaching and learning community.
- Identify needs of academic units and instructors to support the design and development of programs, courses and teaching practices.
- Survey instructors annually on their needs for instructional resources and professional development.
- Develop a support model that connects academic units to CITL expertise and resources that assists them in meeting teaching and learning goals.
- Strategically promote CITL services and programs through consistent and effective communication approaches.
- Provide students with a comprehensive suite of learning resources through the Academic Success Centre.
Strategic Priority 3:
Promote and support deep and engaged learning for all through high-impact practices, educational technologies, and the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Offer a Course Design Institute on designing learner-centred courses.
- Enable CITL staff engagement in conference presentations and peer-reviewed publications.
- Promote CITL's Learning Technology Guide in the selection of educational technologies.
- Develop a cohort-based faculty development program in research on student learning.
- Create an Assessment Toolkit to assist in the design of effective assessments.
Strategic Priority 4:
Work to create accessible learning experiences according to defined standards, thus enabling inclusive teaching and learning.
- Integrate accessibility and inclusiveness in CITL's professional development opportunities and resources.
- Develop design standards to guide the creation of accessible and inclusive learning spaces.
- Establish Audiovisual (AV) design standards to improve accessibility and inclusiveness in learning spaces.
- Consult with instructors in the creation of media to enhance student learning and accessibility.
- Enhance production of instructional media that promotes student learning.