Graduate Student Orientation 2019
Every year, the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), Student Life, and the Graduate Students' Union (GSU) host Graduate Orientation for all new graduate students at Memorial University (those students admitted to graduate programs for the current year, from Winter to Fall semesters). Graduate Orientation is designed to help graduate students in their unique transition to graduate school.
We invite you to Graduate Orientation 2019 on Tuesday, September 3, 2019 in the Bruneau Centre for Research and Innovation, from 8:30 am t0 3 pm. Please RSVP by clicking below:
About the event:
The Graduate Orientation will include: greetings from university's senior administrators, information sessions, a resources fair, free food and giveaways!
A continental breakfast and refreshments will be provided throughout the morning. A BBQ for all graduate students will also be hosted by the Graduate Students' Union (GSU) and the Teaching Assistants' Union of Memorial University of Newfoundland (TAUMUN) at Bitters Pub.
If you are a student with a disability and have questions regarding accessibility, we encourage you to contact the Glenn Roy Blundon Centre.
|Registration, Continental Breakfast, Resources Fair Visit||8:30 - 9:15 am|
|Greetings: Dr. Noreen Golfman, Provost and Vice-President (Academic)||9:15 - 9:20 am|
|Welcome: Jennifer Browne, Associate Director, Student Life||9:20 - 9:25 am|
|Keynote Address: Dr. Danine Farquharson, Associate Dean, School of Graduate Studies||9:25 - 10:00 am|
|Networking Activity: Getting to Know Each Other!||10:00 - 10:25 am|
|Introduction to GSU, TAUMUN and Resources Fair||10:25 - 10:45 am|
|Refreshment Break and Resources Fair Visit||10:45 - 11:30 am|
|Being Academically Successful: Dr. Amanda Bittner, Associate Professor & Graduate Officer, Department of Political Science||11:30 am - 12:00 pm|
|Graduate Life at Memorial Student Panel: Moderator, Dr. Mandy Rowsell, Alumna, Department of English||12:00 - 12:20 pm|
|Introduction to the Internationalization Office: Sonja Knutson, Director, & Arif Abu, International Student Advisor, Internationalization Office||12:20 - 12:30 pm|
|Campus Tour (sign up at registration table)||12:45 - 1:45 pm|
|GSU/TAUMUN BBQ at Bitters||1:00 - 3:00 pm|
- Canadian Federation of Students
- Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL)
- Centre for Social Enterprise
- Enhanced Development of the Graduate Experience (EDGE)
- Entrepreneurship Training Program (ETP)
- Glenn Roy Blundon Centre for Students with Disabilities
- Graduate Students’ Union (GSU)
- Internationalization Office
- Memorial Centre for Entrepreneurship (MCE)
- Office of the Chief Risk Officer (OCRO)
- QEII Library
- Research Grant and Contract Services
- Sexual Harassment Office
- Student Wellness and Counselling Centre
- Sustainability Office
- The Commons
- The Harris Centre/Yaffle
- The Writing Centre
Other Orientation Events:
- New graduate students are encouraged to register for Pre-Arrival Webinars hosted by the School of Graduate Studies. These webinars provide information on cross-cultural learning, administrative matters, graduate student life, academic readiness and planning.
- Graduate students registered in online or mixed-mode graduate programs are invited to Online Orientation Facebook Live panel sessions on Wednesday, August 28th and Thursday, August 29th.
- Graduate student families are invited to register for Family Orientation on Monday, September 2nd. It will include presentations, panels, workshops, and tours which will provide information on resources available for student families. A breakout session especially for families of graduate students will be hosted by our Associate Dean, Dr. Danine Farquharson. This is a child-friendly event; all family members are welcome.
- Our academic units also hold individual Department/Program orientation sessions. We encourage you to contact your Graduate Officer for more details on these events.
- Graduate students are also welcome to attend Memorial University's general Fall Welcome Orientation events.
Questions? Contact Julie Bowering at email@example.com.
We look forward to meeting you all!