Recreation fee exemption

To opt out of the recreation fee, the Request for Recreation Fee Exemption form must be completed and submitted to the Cashier’s Office during the semester for which the exemption is requested. The form requires the signature of your supervisor or graduate officer (for course-based graduate programs). Please note that this form is required for each semester you are seeking an exemption.

Graduate Students attending the Grenfell Campus at Corner Brook can put their forms in the internal mail.

All students who are attending courses on campus in St. John’s will be charged the per semester Recreation Fee. Students in the following categories are recognized as not attending courses on campus in St. John’s and will not be assessed.


  • students registered in courses only at the Marine Institute
  • students registered in courses only at Frecker Institute
  • students registered in courses only at Harlow
  • students registered in courses only at Grenfell Campus
  • students registered in only distance education courses
  • students registered only in work terms
  • students registered in Education 401X, 404X and 405X (student internship)
  • students registered in Pharmacy 501X (internship)
  • students registered in Pharmacy 305P, 406P, 407P, 605P, 606P, 607P and 608P (Practice Experience)

Students who fall in the above categories will not be required to file any documents with the University as the student billing system can recognize these groups and they will not be assessed.

Graduate Students

Graduate students who are not studying or doing research on the St. John’s Campus at any time during a semester will be eligible to confirm their status (see link below) and have it verified by their Academic Unit. Once Financial Services has received the completed verification individual graduate students will have their fee reversed.


Staff members who are enrolled in one course funded by the University will not gain access to the recreation facilities at the student fee rate. Staff members will be charged a different fee which will be higher than the student rate.

Staff who fall into this category will initially be charged the fee; however, once they file the staff course exemption form the charge will be automatically reversed from their account.

Get the Graduate Recreation Fee Exemption Form


School of Graduate Studies

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000