Getting oriented: your first week on campus

St. John's Campus

Orientation Activities

The GSU organizes GradFest in September and WinterFest in January of each year. Both are orientation sessions for new and current graduate students. GradFest activities usually include a boat trip or city bus tour, a campus tour, seminars to help you learn more about graduate student life at Memorial, and a Brass Lunch where you can meet senior university administrators, the GSU executive and other graduate students.

The International Student Advising Office and the Centre for Student Life host an International Student Orientation, which begins the week before classes start. Seminars and discussions include information regarding services and resources, health, culture and academics. This orientation has been developed to alleviate the initial problems faced by international students, so it is very important that international students attempt to arrive on campus in time to attend.

The MUNnel System Campus Map

Memorial University may have a large campus, but the MUNnel System makes access to everything easier. Blue, yellow, green and orange lines on walls indicate entrances to tunnels and skywalks, and are designed to help pedestrians find their way around campus.

Glenn Roy Blundon Centre for Students with Disabilities

The Glenn Roy Blundon Centre co-ordinates on-campus services for students with disabilities and those with short term illnesses and injuries. Services include: orientation for students with disabilities; assistance arranging alternative accommodations for tests, exams and assignments (medical and/or psycho-educational documentation is required); access to adaptive technology and software; note-taking assistance; and the provision of keys to wheelchair elevators and lifts on campus. The centre also provides a liaison between students, faculty, staff and community organizations. Students can contact the Blundon Centre to request a copy of its student resource book or the Campus Physical Accessibility Guide.

Glenn Roy Blundon Centre, Room 4007, Smallwood Centre, Memorial University, St. John's, NL A1C 5S7. Tel: (709) 864-2156; TTY: (709) 864 -4763; Fax: (709) 864-8960 or 3011;;

University Bookstore

The Bookstore is located on the second floor of the University Centre (UC-2006). Hours are 8:30 a.m.- 4:45 p.m. Monday to Friday, with extended hours at the start of each semester. In addition to course texts, the Bookstore sells stationery, magazines, clothing and other supplies. The Bookstore also buys and sells selected textbooks. Inquire at the Information Desk for a list of titles.

Computing Services

Memorial's campus computer network, MUNet, is among the most advanced of any educational institution in the world. More than 10,000 access points across campus provide e-mail and Internet access to all members of the university community. General access computer labs are located in the Queen Elizabeth II Library, the Math Building, the Chemistry-Physics Building and the Computer Services Building.

Most academic units have computer facilities for the use of their students, including Internet access, printing and word-processing. For more information about computing facilities, contact Computing and Communications Help Centre in the Henrietta Harvey Building.

Computing and Communications Help Centre, Room HH-2012. Tel: 864: -4595; or;

If you are interested in buying a computer system or software, inquire at the Computer Purchasing Centre, which offers reduced prices for students. It is located in Room CS-1000 of the Computing Services Building. Tel: 864-2673;

Computer and Email accounts

Every incoming student is given a free MUNet computer access and email account. To set up your account, or to receive information on how to use it, drop by Computing and Communications (HH 2012).


Lockers may be acquired at the Centre for Student Life office in the University Centre (UC-3005) before classes start or within the first week of classes. The cost is $20 for the year, with a refund when the lock is returned - $10 after one semester, $7.50 after two semesters, and $5.00 after three semesters.


Full-time, registered graduate students are eligible to apply for permits to park on campus in the designated student area 16A. Graduate students may apply for parking permits at any time during the period of May 1 to August 31. Normally, graduate students will purchase an annual permit at this time. A limited number of parking spaces will be held for late admissions and late arrivals for Fall semester. These will be allocated by the School of Graduate Studies on a first-come, first-serve basis and unused spaces will be returned to Campus Enforcement and Patrol for the second lottery. Because of limited space, no spaces will be held for Winter semester. Graduate students who do not obtain a permit through the above process are eligible to enter the lotteries in September, January and April. All graduate students will be considered to have 48 credit hours of eligibility for the lottery. Further information is available on Students with disabilities or medical problems will be considered on an individual basis at the time of application. All students are subject to parking regulations.

Post Office and Information Centre

The MUNSU Information Centre and Post Office are located in the Attic on the third floor of the University Centre (UC-3009). Hours: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, and noon to 5 p.m. on weekends.

Campus Card

The Campus Card is your student identification card, library card, and debit card for photocopying. Campus Cards should be obtained from the Centre for Student Life (UC-3005) as soon as possible upon arrival to the university.

Library Carrels

Sixty-eight research/typing rooms are available in the Queen Elizabeth II Library for the use of graduate students. All full-time and part-time graduate students are eligible to apply for a carrel. Priority will be given to students who do not have access to appropriate work space within their own academic units or who are in the thesis-writing stage of their program. For information about obtaining a research carrel, contact the Circulation Desk at the Queen Elizabeth II Library at 864-7423.

Daycare for Children

The MUNSU/MUN Childcare Centre is located centrally on campus. Within one building are four self-contained child care centres, each staffed with qualified, experienced, caring people.

Programs are available for toddlers (age 2), full and part-time pre-schoolers (3-6), and school children (5-10). Registration is ongoing. Please call: (709) 864-4728 or Fax: (709) 864-2693.

A listing of other daycare centres and nurseries is available in the Yellow Pages section of the telephone directory. Local daycare centres charge between $20-$40 per day, depending on your child's age and the type of care required. We recommend you research several daycare centres to compare the fees and

If you are having difficulty financing daycare, you may apply for financial assistance from: Child Care Services, Daycare Subsidy Program, Health & Community Services, 20 Cordage Place, PO 13122, St. John's, NL, Canada, A1B 4A4. Phone: (709) 752-4800

Schools for Children

To enrol your child in school, contact the Eastern School District of Newfoundland and Labrador. The school district will refer you to the principal of a school in your area. For your interview with the principal, you will need to bring your child's school records and medical information or a health certificate. You should contact the school board as soon as possible so that you can place your child in a school close to your home before the classes are full.

Eastern School District of Newfoundland and Labrador, Suite 601, Atlantic Place, 215 Water St., St. John's, NL, Canada A1C 6C9. Phone: (709) 758-2372;


School of Graduate Studies

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000