Registration procedures and course offerings

Newly admitted and current graduate students can register for courses each semester using Memorial's online registration system, Memorial Self-Service.

The registration period begins roughly 4 weeks before the start of the semester and ends two weeks after the start of the semester. Please refer to the University Diary for exact dates.

Please use the following steps to help you with the registration process:

1.  Ensure you are registered for SUBJ 9000 (or MED 9900). You are only required to do this in your first semester or if you are returning from a leave of absence. In all other cases, your 9000/9900 registration will automatically roll to the new semester. Please note that unless you formally complete or withdraw from your program, you will continue to remain registered for 9000/9900 and incur fees.

2.  Determine course offerings and information about registration procedures and deadlines through the Office of the Registrar's website (select the semester you wish to register for, e.g., Graduate Fall 2012).

3.  Ensure the graduate courses you are registering for are reflected on the Program of Study form sent to you at the time of admission, or a subsequent Change of Program form. If the course is not currently part of your Program of Study, you may have to complete and submit a Change of Program form.

4.  Register online during the appropriate period through Memorial Self-Service. Step-by-step instructions are found here. If you wish to register outside of the normal registration period, you must do so by way of a Course Change form. When registering by Course Change form, you may also be required to submit a letter from your instructor confirming that you have been attending classes since the start of the semester.

5.  Set up and monitor your email account. Memorial will communicate to you about registration through this email address.

6.  Ensure you pay all relevant fees by the appropriate deadline and keep in mind some important post-registration details.

Students not admitted to a graduate program at Memorial University may enroll in graduate courses only with the permission of the instructors and the head of the appropriate academic unit. All such students are advised to contact the instructor and head of the unit in writing seeking permission. Once obtained, students should apply for undergraduate admission as "Other Students" as program of study and "Visitor" as category of admission through the Office of the Registrar (if they do not currently have status as an undergraduate or graduate student at Memorial), and register for the graduate course through a Course Change form.

Note:  Students who require enrolment verification letters may request letters via Memorial Self-Service.  Please review the Requesting enrolment verification letters procedure.


School of Graduate Studies

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000