Yes. Filing a complaint through the Sexual Harassment Office does not prevent you from reporting to the police. In fact, our advisors can assist and support you in making this report. If the matter falls under the Human Rights Act, you can consider filing a complaint with the Human Rights Commission of Newfoundland and Labrador as well. We are available to support you in exploring these options.

Under the Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault policy a complaint must be filed within twelve (12) months of the incident. Incidents that occurred prior to the twelve (12) months may be referenced if the incidents are relevant and part of a series of incidents that form part of the pattern of harassment. There are some extenuating circumstances that may allow an extension to this time frame. 

Yes. Under Memorial's procedures there are options for an informal resolution. We can also provide information for amd guidance on additional resources and help to facilitate a referral to any service that you may find beneficial. Our advisors are available for consultations regardless of whether you choose to make a complaint and request a resolution. 

Yes. You are able to consult with our office without placing a complaint. If you do choose to place a complaint and pursue a resolution, you choose which resolution option you want to pursue. The Sexual Harassment Offices values the 'three Cs', the confidentiality, choice and consent.

Yes, you can report incidents that you are not directly involved in by contacting our office. Sexual violence is an issue where bystanders can help make a significant difference in a variety of ways, including reporting incidents that are witnessed. This shared responsibility is especially important for those in an authoritative role in the university. Such information can be very helpful in informing prevention strategies.