Information for Transfer Students

Are you currently attending, or have you attended in the past, another recognized university or college? If so, you should select the correct category on the application for admission. You are encouraged to review Memorial University's regulations related to transfer credit in the Admissions section of the General Regulations in the University Calendar.

Sending Documents

You are responsible for making sure that all documents required for admission or transfer credit evaluation are provided. The results of your transfer credit evaluation may be important for the purpose of admission to, and placement within, your program. Thus, the results are important for course planning and registration. For this reason, you are advised to apply early and forward the required documents at least two months prior to the start of the semester for which admission is sought. All required transcripts and course outlines must be sent to Memorial University’s Office of the Registrar. Transcripts must be sent by the issuing institution directly.


Transcripts submitted by students are considered unofficial unless it is not possible to obtain an official transcript from another institution which must be confirmed by the Office of the Registrar. In such cases, a notarized copy supplied by the student may be accepted.

For students currently attending another institution, an interim official transcript is required in advance of the final official transcript in order to begin the assessment of eligibility for admission and transfer credit.

Course Descriptions/Outlines

Calendar descriptions for all courses completed are required for the transfer credit evaluation process. These are normally available (and do not need to be sent by the student) from online calendars published by Canadian institutions. Students transferring from Canadian institutions where online calendar course descriptions are not available should send photocopied calendar course descriptions to the Office of the Registrar.

For universities or colleges outside of Canada, detailed course outlines are normally always required and should be sent to the Office of the Registrar directly by an appropriate official at the institution in question.

Course descriptions/outlines must be taken from the appropriate calendar year(s) for each course completed. Photocopies are acceptable, but must be taken directly from the calendar.

English Translation

All documents required for admission and transfer credit eligibility must be in English. Translated documents must be notarized.

How Transfer Credit Decisions Are Made

Course equivalency is determined by the academic unit responsible for each respective subject area. This is done by comparing the course and transcript information available for each student with existing Memorial University courses in that subject area. The process is co-ordinated by the Office of the Registrar.

A number of courses from many recognized post-secondary institutions have already been evaluated for equivalency with Memorial University courses. Where precedents exist, transfer credit can be awarded by the Office of the Registrar when the student's transcript is received.

How Credit is Awarded

Eligibility for credit transfer at Memorial University is assessed and awarded on a course-by-course basis unless there is an official agreement between Memorial University and a sending institution to admit students with advanced standing in specific programs. When an academic unit determines that a course relates to a particular subject area or level but not a specific, equivalent course offered by Memorial University, unspecified credit hours may be awarded in that subject area. Students may find unspecified credits useful in meeting elective requirements for various degrees.


Evaluation of transfer credit eligibility begins when all required documents have been received.

It typically takes from four to eight weeks from the time an application is complete (all transcripts and course outlines received) to complete the process with notification of the results to the student. The time required to complete the process depends on the number and nature of the courses and subject areas involved, the quality of the information available on the transcript(s), and the degree of detail available from the course information supplied by the student.

Communicating Results

Students are notified of the results of the transfer credit evaluation by the Office of the Registrar by mail. In some cases, results may also be emailed to the student's secure email account.

General Admission

Transfer applicants are subject to Memorial University's general academic regulations governing admission and readmission which include a requirement to meet the university's continuance and readmission regulations. Accordingly, each student's academic standing at other previous or current institutions must be considered. For this reason, official final transcripts from all other institutions attended must be submitted, regardless of whether you wish to have or expect to receive any transfer of credit for courses completed elsewhere.

Program Admission

If you are applying for a program that requires you have a certain amount of university-level (or equivalent) study completed as a condition of admission (including degree programs offered by the School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Education, and the Marine Institute) you will not normally require a course-for-course transfer credit evaluation. Rather, the admissions committee for the faculty, school, or program to which you are applying will assess your transcript(s) to determine whether you meet the related admission criteria. Please see the appropriate faculty or school section of the University Calendar for the relevant program admission requirements.

How transfer credits can be used to meet degree requirements

Transfer credits may be included in a degree program provided that the transferring course is equivalent to a specific course required for the degree. In some cases, where the transferring course has no direct equivalent to a course at Memorial, unspecified credit may be awarded. These credits can sometimes be used to fulfill elective requirements on a degree program. You should check with an advisor for the appropriate faculty or school in this regard.


Questions regarding the transfer credit evaluation process or the status of a transfer credit evaluation may be directed to or by phone at (709) 864-4424.


Office of the Registrar

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000