Procedure for Approval and Appeals for Use of Animals
- Before animals can be used for research and teaching, the researcher must file an application to the IACC using the authorized protocol form describing the proposed use of animals; the application must be approved by the IACC before proceeding.
- When approval is given, the secretariat of the Committee will so advise the applicant and the Vice-president (Research).
- When approval is given subject to minor amendment, the Executive Secretary will transmit details of the amendment to the applicant and, after modification of the protocol, approval will be given.
- When approval is withheld or the protocol is rejected, the investigator concerned is entitled to appear before the Committee to present additional information for consideration.
- Appeals by applicants will go directly to the President and, if necessarywill be handled on the basis of procedure as outlined by the CCAC.