View Procedure


Procedure for Inviting a Foreign Guest Lecturer

Approval Date: 2014-08-05

Effective Date: 2014-08-05

Responsible Unit: Division of Faculty Relations


A foreign guest lecturer is a person who is invited to the University to give a series of lectures for a period of less than one academic term or semester. The person must occupy a temporary position of a non-continuing nature which does not comprise a complete academic course. In accordance with CIC, persons who fall under this category are exempt from a LMIA but, do require a work permit.

Steps for Unit

1) All foreign guest lecturers will receive a letter of appointment. The letter is issued by the Unit Head, following a recommendation by the Department Head, where appropriate.

 2) Letters of appointment for foreign guest lecturers will contain the following phrase:

This offer is subject to compliance with the immigration laws of Canada and is conditional on any approvals, authorizations and/or permits in respect of your employment that may be required under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and in the regulations made pursuant to that Act. Please note that it is your responsibility to maintain your immigration status, in order to retain this position. If you have any questions please contact the Office of Faculty Relations at 864-4732.

 3) The Office of Faculty Relations will be copied on all letters of appointment for foreign guest lecturers.

Steps for Foreign Guest Lecturer 

4) Upon receipt of the letter of appointment, the foreign guest lecturer must apply for a Work Permit at the visa office responsible for the country or region where s/he lives. Additional documents (i.e., TRV, medical examination, police certificate, etc) may also be required.  Requirements for additional documents can be obtained by contacting the visa office.

5) If a work permit is approved, the Canadian visa office will issue a letter which must be presented to an immigration official at the Canadian port of entry. The actual Work Permit is issued at the port of entry. A TRV is also required if the foreign guest lecturer is from a country requiring a visa to visit Canada

Policies using this procedure:

Procedure Amendment History

No recorded history of amendments.