Song Title Index (STI)
The Song Title Index is a finding aid to 4,000 songs from Memorial University of Newfoundland Folklore and Language Archive (MUNFLA) collections dating from the mid-1960s through 1979. Collected by folklore fieldworkers in all areas of Newfoundland and Labrador, the songs include 17th and 18th century Child ballads, English broadsides, and local and popular compositions.
Originally a card index compiled by graduate students in the Department of Folklore, and MUNFLA staff and associates over many years, the Song Title Index was digitized in the mid-2000s by MUN’s Research Centre for the Study of Music, Media and Place (MMaP) .
The index features sixteen descriptive fields which organize information about the songs as follows:
- Fields 1-5: identification of songs as they are commonly found in song collections and indexes by their standard title, given title used by the singer, first line, plot summary and number of lines or stanzas
- Fields 6-7: location of document in MUNFLA by its accession, shelf list and page numbers
- Fields 9-12: contextual information about the recording such as the place and date of the performance, and names of the informant/performer and collector
- Fields 13-14: name of the indexer and date it was indexed
- Fields 15-16: first stanza and annotation or other published or unpublished occurrences of the song.
To Browse the Index click here: Song Title Index (DAI)