There are three main grocery stores in St. John’s and surrounding areas, offering a variety of food, fresh produce, household items and clothing, these include Dominion, Sobeys and Colemans. Wal-Mart and Costco (Wholesale Warehouse) are also popular destinations for residents of St. John’s. To locate the store nearest you, visit the store website or search “Grocers in the Yellow Pages.
International Food and Products
Some grocery stores carry international products. However, there are several specialty stores in St. John's offering a variety of ethnic items.
- Asian Variety Store, Downtown 164 Water Street, (709) 726 1698
- International Flavors, Downtown, 4 Quidi Vidi Road, (709) 738-4636
- Food for Thought, Downtown, 382 Duckworth Street, (709) 738-3544
- Bulk Barn (spices etc.), 39 Kelsey Drive, (709) 570-0520 and 30 White Rose Drive, (709) 754-5842
- Magic Wok Chinese Grocery, 238 Duckworth Street, (709) 739-1716
- Rocket Food, 272 Water Street, (709) 738-2011
- Taste East Inc., 62 Allandale Road, (709) 579-7366
- Toya International Market, 107 Long's Hill, (709) 579-0999
Several Shopping areas exist in the St. John’s metro area including downtown boutiques, to shopping malls and box store centres throughout the city. Business hours vary by location and store. Most businesses are open seven days a week.
- Avalon Mall: indoor shopping mall located off Kenmount Road. Includes department stores, jewellers, Sears, Winners HomeSense and Cineplex Theatres.
- Kelsey Drive: box store centre located off Kenmount Road. Includes Wal-Mart, Sobeys, Home Depot, Canadian Tire.
- Churchill Square: Small shopping plaza located off Elizabeth Avenue. Includes Shoppers DrugMart and a few restaurants and clothes boutiques.
- Downtown: Located primarily on Water Street and Duckworth Street. Includes a number of boutique stores.
- Stavanger Drive: large box store centre located on Stavanger Drive. Includes Dominion, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Winners and much more.
- Village Shopping Centre: indoor shopping mall located off Topsail Road. Includes Bed, Bath and Beyond, Laura and Home Hardware, jewellers and clothing stores.
- The St. John's Farmers Market is held most Saturday mornings from June to December at the Lions Chalet on Bonaventure Avenue. The market offers a variety of fresh produce, baked goods, ethnic foods, crafts and much more.
- Galway Shopping: Includes Costco, Marshall's, Urban Shoe Company and much more.