Work Permit Renewal

If your job or invitation from the university is extended, you must apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to extend your existing temporary status in Canada before it expires.

For information on extending your stay in Canada and to complete the appropriate application form to renew your temporary work permit click here

If you are applying for an employer specific LMIA-exempt work permit, you will be required to obtain an offer of employment number from Memorial University prior to submitting your application for a work permit. For information on how to obtain this number contact or your hiring unit.

If you apply to extend your work permit before the expiry date you may have implied status and may be able to keep working under the conditions of your original work permit while your work permit application is being processed by IRCC. For further information on implied status click here.

Once you have received your new work permit:

  • provide your department/faculty office and the Department of Human Resources with a copy of your new work permit;
  • renew your MCP coverage (link to MCP section); and
  • renew you Social Insurance Number (link to SIN section).