Visa Requirements

New entry requirements to Canada are now in effect. Foreign nationals travelling to Canada now require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), some exemptions apply. Please note: TRVs and eTA’s only allow a foreign national to transit to Canada, additional documentation is required for those that intend to work or study in Canada.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

A TRV is an official counterfoil document issued by a visa office that is placed in a person’s passport to show that he or she has met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. Temporary residents may be authorized to enter and remain in Canada as a visitor, worker or student.

All foreign nationals entering Canada as a temporary resident are required to obtain a visa, unless otherwise exempted. For information on citizens requiring visas to enter Canada as temporary residents click here.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new electronic entry document for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. Visa exempt foreign nationals are citizens of countries who do not require a travel visa to enter Canada.

Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Individuals will be required to make an online application to receive the eTA prior to boarding a flight to Canada. The authorization is electronically linked to an individual's passport and is valid for five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. It is anticipated the eTA will be approved almost immediately after an application is submitted though definitive times for approval are not yet known. There is a fee of $7.00 for each eTA.

Foreign workers from visa exempt countries who are already in Canada on a valid work permit will require an eTA if they leave and return to Canada via air after March 15, 2016.

For more information and to make application for an eTA, please review the following website: